Dodge Dart Forums banner

Upgrading the intercooler, have questions

19K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Gofast 
#1 ·
Hey guys. After much research I've found out that the stock intercooler on our Darts is the weakest link in the turbo system. After continued driving, or alot of hard driving the stock intercooler no longer performs its job. The numbers I've seen say that after any length of driving the intercooler cannot cool to the required level for the turbo system. They said it's about 60-100 degrees higher than ambient temps. Ouch!

All that being said, I've decided my next upgrade will be the intercooler. My question is; of the two on the market right now which is the better performer? The Silas large front mount or the Tork direct fit replacement? I've read alot about the Tork one, and it sounds great, but all the reviews I've read have been from Tork themselves, so I don't know.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

#2 ·
I've only heard rave reviews from every product that Tork releases. You probably won't have any regrets there, especially since it's a direct fit replacement!

#3 ·
Yeah they seem pretty proud of it too. I like the size of the Silas one, but I know larger intercoolers cause a small lose in low-end power. Since our grills don't allow for that monster intercooler to be seen anyway, I'd be hard press to pay for that lose. Thanks!

#4 ·
I called tork today and they gave me a straight answer on their experience with the Silas and their own and the bigger intercooler raises some turbo lag. Of course it would seem they are just wanting to sell their own product but if you think about it with the smaller fmic it wouldn't lose much... plus its $50 cheaper. I'll be picking mine up from them and their hot and cold side tubes soon. Their just a 20 min drive from me. Stoked

#5 ·
Did they say anything else, or just that it raises turbo lag? Of course they'll say what makes them look good though lol.

#10 ·
You DON'T need to remove the front bumper just to install the CAI. Just jack up the passenger side front wheel, remove the wheel, and remove the plastic flap in the wheel well. :rolleyes:

#13 ·
I spoke with both companys today and they each said the samething about their intercoolers: The aftermarket Injen piping is NOT recommended with them. Well hell..

#15 ·
Madness says they haven't tested the pipes with their intercooler so he didn't want to give me bad advice. Tork says the Injen pipes wont match the tubes on the intercooler.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.