Dodge Dart Forums banner

What MPG are you really getting?

19K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  chizzle1 
#1 ·
What are you really getting for average MPG? I have the display that gives a running MPG average and have been getting between 30 and 32 MPG with mixed driving. So I thought well that is about average but I decided to do the math and check it. I have only checked it once when it said I was averaging 32mpg for the tank. I filled it and devided the miles by gallons and turns out I only got 28.6mpg average. I know once doesn't tell it all so I will continue checking it.

I am just curious if anyone else has checked thier MPG and what they are getting?

#3 ·
OK so I know this should have been posted in the General Discussion section but I was hoping to lead this into MPG improvements from aftermarket upgrades. Just hit 11K and still lovin my Dart.

#6 · (Edited)
I let my better half use my Dart this weekend to go Christmas shopping with a friend. She usually drives a Smart car so I new she would be heavy footed on the gas peddle. The Average MPG display show 29.1mpg for the tank when I fueled up this morning. Did the math and I really only averaged 24mpg. I know my old Neon was a lighter car with the 2.0 in it but I used to get 33mpg with it. Thats a big difference in opperating cost over time.

I am kind of hoping to get some better fuel economy with cold air intake and exhaust. I already have the dual out exhaust though so don't know if there is much room for improvement there.

#7 ·
we never believe the computer, we always use math and we avg between 32 - 34 and it is mostly stop and go. Ocasionaly we take a road trip across state to visit daughter, and we have gotten as high as 38 but that is driving very conservitive. all in all we are happy with it.

#12 ·
OK, next couple tanks I am going to step up to the good stuff and see what I get for mpg and figure out if the improved mileage offsets the increased cost of the fuel. Even driving like grandma i'm stuck with 30-31 mpg average using 87 octane. My grandma drove a mustang:D.

#13 · (Edited)
Well I just finished up the first full tank of 92octane and according to the average mpg readout on the dash I averaged 31.9 mpg. This is up to 2 mpg better that the 87octane I have been running. At this point it is almost a break even switch. 2mpg times 14 gallons equals almost 1 gallon savings. 1 gallon of 87 is $3.10, 92octane is 20cents more so 14 gallons time 20cents equals $2.80. I save 30cents per tank plus the benifits of running a better fuel.

Now for the sad part. I took the mileage from the trip meter and devided it by the amount of fuel added and I really only averaged 28mpg. I just can't see how anyone is getting 38mpg. Even the 1.4 turbo as efficient as it is can't be getting 33% better mileage. Really? Do your own math. I'm done driving like grandma. Time to enjoy my Dart.:D

#15 ·
The mileage on ours seems to be improving some as the engine loosens up. When it has less than 100 miles on it we were getting 28/35, now with 12k we are getting 30/39. With 4 people the highway drops to 35-36.
I am waiting to see the results of the CAI people have installed, if it improves mileage I will invest in one.

#16 ·
2.4 sxt

I've had my sxt rallye for a week now and just turned 1000 miles, my first tank of gas I worked out I got 28 mpg on 87 pump, I swung by our local non ethanol gas station and filled up , on the freeway home I averaged 32 mpg nice this is what my civic with 232,000 ,miles averaged so I was happy, but today the second time I drove home I noticed at 75mph I was averaging over 40 mpg! I thought maybe the computer was glitching so I kept swapping between average and actual and it was always over 40 mpg.. I'm so stoked... Now the true test will be what it gets when I need to fill up next and I divide miles/ gallons but I'm hoping now I've got some miles on her that she does me good... Heck I will fill her with non ethanol until the cows come home!

#20 ·
2.4 engine in GT, auto, getting 28 in town and 31 highway, most highway driving 70 mph. 87 gas. Only have 1500 miles on the clock.
I've seen as high as 37mpg on the highway around 70mph or under running 87octane with the 2.0. Went on a road trip a while back and was pushing 80+ and my mpg dropped down around 31 so there is a limit.

#23 · (Edited)
We just returned from a trip, there were 2 adults and two kids, plus a trunk full of luggage.

Traveling at 65-70, reg fuel, A/C on, the little Dart gets 40 mpg, running with traffic ~80 mph the mileage drops to 35-ish.
Around town mileage varies between 33 and 27 depending on how easy or hard it's driven.

We usually run reg 87-89 octane fuel.

The dash is usually within 1 mpg when i figure it manually (miles divided by gallons).

Only not stock part is a K&N drop in filter.

Our Dart is the 2.0 auto trans limited.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.