Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to find some information via google about servicing the auto trans in the dart.
Hope this helps some other members out there wanting to do some preventative maintenance.

Step 1: Remove the transmission drain plug from bottom of transmission case. This will drain aprox 5 liters of fluid. Allow time for all fluid to drain.

Step 2: Re-install drain plug and tourqe to 34.3 - 44.1 NM (3.5 - 4.5 kgf.m, 25.3 - 32.6 lb-ft)

Step 3: Unscrew filler eyebolt (see below...front slightly to the right of the engine). I found that the my socket wrench extension fit perfectly into the square opening in the middle of the eyebolt.

Step 4: Insert your funnel into the opening and start adding fluid very slowly. I found that it liked to back up and overflow if I went to fast. It took about 30 mins for me to get all the fluid in without it backing up and out of the opening. The instructions call for adding 5 liters but the service counter guy recommended going with only 4.5 liters at least until you can check the level.

Now time to check the fluid level. The instructions say this is easier with vehicle on a lift.

Step 1. Start the engine (don't step on brake and accelerator at same time.)

Step 2. Confirm the temperature of the A/T oil temp sensor is 50-60 C (122-140F) with the GDS.

Step 3. Shift the select lever slowly from P to D then D to P and repeat once more at idle. Leave in each position for at least 2 seconds.

Step 4. Lift the vehicle then remove the oil level check plug from the front side of the transmission case (see first diagram above)

Step 5. (note vehicle must be at a level state) If the oil flows out of the overflow (level check) plug in a thin steady stream then the oil level is correct. If excess oil flows out in a thick stream you have an excess fluid level condition. If no oil flows out you have a shortage situation and need to add additional fluid.

Step 6. Once the level is correct tighten the overflow/level check plug and then re-install the eyebolt on the filler opening. Torque to (4.9 - 5.9 NM (0.5 - 0.6 kgfm, 3.6 - 4.3 lb-ft)

Step 7. Clean up any fluid on painted surfaces in the engine bay as fluid is corrosive to paint.

I will be conducting this service when the mileage reaches 35k.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for the info! If you think about it can you take some pictures when you do your service? Are you going to change the filter too? Or wait until the recommended 6yr 60k service interval to do the filter?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to change the fluid and the filter once the Dart hits 35k miles.
I'll be sure to take some pictures, I'm just hoping I don't have to remove too much of the belly pan (whatever you call the piece the covers the underside of the car) to access the side of the transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info! If you think about it can you take some pictures when you do your service? Are you going to change the filter too? Or wait until the recommended 6yr 60k service interval to do the filter?
Hey this transmission you can't change filter I have eat shit becouse of that until found full explanation on YouTube
I hope it will help someone good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts