Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my first oil change on Saturday and had some trouble getting the stock mopar oil filter off of my 2.0L automatic. I had a 74mm/76mm "B" oil filter cap wrench and it would not fit the stock filter. The stock oil filter was too small for the 76mm flanges of the cap wrench, but the stock oil filter was too big to fit into the smaller 74mm flanges. The cap fit my replacement Fram filter (76mm) perfectly. Thinking I was crazy, I walked across the road and bought another cap from a different manufacturer, but it was definitely the filter and not the cap. Did anybody else run into this? Imo, that's kind of a lame move by Mopar. I'm never getting the oil changed at a dealership because I don't want to have to take off that stock filter again.

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
The original filter is put on by a gorilla at the factory. This happens to almost every model Mopar during the first oil change. Your almost better to take it in to the dealer for the first oil change so you won't have any trouble getting it off in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, I was thinking that too, but even after I got the filter off and out of the car, the cap wouldn't fit. It wasn't an issue of the filter being too tight, it's that they use a non-standard size (at least in my case).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts