Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2.4L automatic on a 2014 SXT. I bought the automatic to be more 'family-friendly' but personally had moments of wanting to buy the manual.

The dealer mentioned Auto-Shift - a way to manually shift the gears on the automatic without a clutch. I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I see the +/- near the shift knob and its calling me to give it a go.

Does anyone use it? Is it practical or useless? I only have 250 miles on the car so far and am thinking I should wait awhile -- I don't want to blow it up as I try and figure it out. I'm not a car-guy but love the Dart. LOVE IT.

Should I bother learning how to use this?

Thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok time to jump in with both feet. To switch into the auto shift mode, pull the shifter sideways towards you. Now pulling the shifter towards the rear upshifts 1,2,3and so on. Pushing forward on the shifter down shifts. Here comes a warning for you. When you pull to a stop and forget to down shift guess what? It does it for you. BUT When you take off from a stop it doesn't shift up for you, so that reving sound you here is your engine. I believe it will actually upshift at some pre-deturmaned RPM which is above my comfort zone. It is fun to play with but I don't use it daily driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts
david is right, it will go to first if you come to a stop by itself
and it will shift up if it stays near redline too long

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I get it. I'm sure I won't forget to shift up as I accelerate. I think it will work for me like David says -- it will be fun to play around with a bit, but probably won't use it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Where I find that I do use it is on slight uphills when you know you start pushing on the gas to maintain your speed and then the car downshifts and you accelerate so you are fighting not to speed so then the car upshifts and you play this yoyo game. So what I do is when I get onto one of these hills I pull the shifter over into manual and it will hold the gear I am in at the time but when you start pushing on the gas to maintain your speed the tranny does what feels like a half gear downshift giving you the RPM needed to maintain without speeding up and it feels way more controlable. Then when I get to the top of the hill I put it back over to auto.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Guys, I would be careful with shifting manually. Remember that you don't have a clutch, so a lot of stress is being put on the torque converter in your AUTOMATIC transmission. The automatic transmission in most Chrysler vehicles eventually have issues to begin with. I'm just afraid to go looking for additional troubles. Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
73 Posts
not to up another brand or down my own, but the 6-spd autostick in these darts is made by hyundai
dont know if that would better or worsen your opinion on that lol

·
Banned
106 Posts
Chris, from the research I have done the Dart body is manufactured by Alfa Romeo which is owned by Fiat. Fiat supplies the engine, which they use in the Fiat 500. The transmission I don't know, I just assumed it was also Fiat, lol. The car is built in Canada, or at least that's what it says on the sticker inside the door, LMAO. I had several, what should have been minor, bugs to be worked out but Chrysler's service and technicians seem to be more interested in trying to worm their way out of the warranty and charge the customer for what should be minor warranty work.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Also, I'm reluctant to shift any brand automatic transmission, just because I believe to manual shift YOU NEED A CLUTCH. A torque converter cannot take the place of a clutch. I called Chrysler and they actually concurred with me on that. The service manager said "It should be ok, once in a while, but on a regular basis, it puts a lot of strain on the torque converter which cannot be a substitute for a clutch"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For me, I am learning a lot from this conversation, so thanks for all the input. I'll probably just stay away from it as I don't personally have a great need for what it might change. I've found the 2.4l auto to be great so far for how I am driving it. I wasn't sure what the technology behind the manual shift was but it doesn't sound like something I'll mess with.

I got my answer, though, so that's awesome. Thanks again!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Chris, from the research I have done the Dart body is manufactured by Alfa Romeo which is owned by Fiat. Fiat supplies the engine, which they use in the Fiat 500. The transmission I don't know, I just assumed it was also Fiat, lol. The car is built in Canada, or at least that's what it says on the sticker inside the door, LMAO. I had several, what should have been minor, bugs to be worked out but Chrysler's service and technicians seem to be more interested in trying to worm their way out of the warranty and charge the customer for what should be minor warranty work.
you are right on the fiat stuff, but the car is built in the states, based on the first digit of the vin, everyone that i have seen is anyway, maybe yours is special ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
A.) I have used the select-shift mode on a regular basis. Sometimes for speedy, mostly for MPG. My girlfriend's 99 Accord starts in a higher gear to increase mpg, so I start my car in 2nd gear to mimic the ability.

B.) The engine makes a nasty noise that is different from non-select mode. So I have leaned off it recently.

C.) If your car is new, don't gun it too hard. Any new car needs to get used to itself before you hammer it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what this car needs is paddle shift! It's a good road racer type car and keeping both hands on the steering wheel while having the ability to shift would be great! Just like all the SRT automatic trans cars!

.....my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Speaking to the people with concerns about using Auto-Stick. You don't need a clutch, basically all you are doing is telling the existing auto transmission when to shift instead of letting the computer do it by itself. Moving the shifter up/down doesn't do anything more than pressing a button would do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts