Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brakes on my Dart are very sensitive so I have noticed it takes very little brake pedal to either control speed on a down hill grade or slowing down while aproaching a stop. A lot of my driving is at O-dark thirty in the morning so I can see the third brake light reflection in my mirror. I have notice that a lot of the time my brake lights aren't coming on with light braking. I also found that with the criuse set, light braking does't disingage the criuse. In fact the car tries to accelerate to make up for the loss of speed from my braking. This concerns me because people fallowing might not realize i'm slowing because the brake lights don't come on.
I haven't looked to see if the brake light switch is on the brake pedal like old cars and if it is adjustable.

I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else had noticed this. Don't want anyone getting rear ended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey man I'm experiencing both of these problems. at first the breaks stopped the cruise control but now it doesn't. I'm going in for a oil change monday and I'm going to ask about it. if you had any answers yet let me know.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't talked to the dealer about this yet but just found out about a gas cap door service for the leading edge of the gas door sticking out so will probably be talking to them about the brake light switch too. I looked up under the dash where the switch is and can see it isn't adjustable. Might have to play the safety card on them if they can't take care of it. Let us know how it goes Monday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
will you guys keep this updated so i can keep an ear out for other vehicles with the same issue, this is the first i have heard of this.

but there is no reason not to bring in your vehicle if it is not right, a dealer cannot turn away a warrantable request.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want to down play the concern I had when I first posted this. One of the first things I noticed about the new Dart was how sensitive the brakes were. I am a R&D tech for an equipment manufacturer and am very very alert to all things mechanical and how they are functioning down to the smallest detail. One thing that has changed over time is I think as the car has broken in is that the brakes have broken in enough to allow the brake pedal to travel further on initial braking input. Personally I still feel it is something that should be addressed. Brake lights should come on if the pedal is depressed as this is needed to disengage the criuse even if no actual braking is ingaged. Also for the safety of you and the person fallowing you.
Thanks for asking for updates Chris.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found out from my dealer that they have been getting a lot
Of the darts back because of the brake switches ( yes their are 2 of them).
And if they replace one of them without checking to see if both
Voltages are the same then it throws a engine code and the
Tail lights don't come on till you press almost to the floor. It also
Tells the cruse control to turn off plus if you have the ddct it tell it
To disengage the clutches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts