Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 Dart SXT with the 1.4 turbo and 6-speed trans, with less than 3K miles. Ever since about the 200 miles mark I have noticied that the car "pulses" or "lunges" when I accelerate thru 2nd and 3rd gear. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like the clutch is being rapidly applied and released several times, but my foot isn't on the clutch. It could also be described as vvrrrroooooom...shift....vvvrrrooooommmmm dunt dunt dunt dunt...shift....vvrrooooommmm dunt dunt dunt, shift. I know that's not a technical example, but that's how I see it. Additionally, when the car is pulsing you can feel the vibration in your right foot and you feel your hips lunging forward in your seat. When I took the car to the dealer today they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with the car, and no check engine lights were illuminating. They also said Dodge has no idea what is wrong. What an answer.
While at the dealership, the service manager suggested he and I test drive a used 13 Dart with the same engine and trans, and maybe we could see if it too had the same problem. Well, it did. Only this time, the used Dart I drove, which has approx. 9,700 miles, made the same "pulsing" lunge, but in a more pronounced way. If my car was obvious, this car was obvious with a banner being pulledbehind it. After some more digging by the service manager I was told "it must just be something specific to this model of car." And, he stated "I can't tell you what's wrong but it does feel like it doesn't want to shift smoothly." Man, you just have to love hearing your brand new car has a problem, but it's not a problem. So, I left the dealership with no answers and that sinking feeling that in about 7,000 miles my car will be "pulsing" as bad as the used one.
ANy ideas or thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem with my car when it is cold out or very hot. The car seems to be stuttering when trying to accelerate. I went to my dealer four times and they informed me that there was no problem and it was probably just turbo lag. It seemed to me like the turbo would over boost and blow off real quick, while trying still to build pressure. After dodge assuring me i have no problem, i kept driving the car, i have almost 20,000 miles on her just had it break down. It seems like i either lost a cylinder or two and turbo will not work now. I just dropped it off at a different dealership hoping they can find a problem...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've heard of this issue with the manual transmission darts for a long time now. The complaint varies from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. I disagree with the dealerships response to it being turbo lag. The Dart starts making solid boost at about 2700RPM so there wouldn't be any lag there. My Dart does not have this issue, but I've been looking and researching every time I hear this complaint and I've come up with a couple of things I feel it could be.

My first thought and the one I believe is the issue, is the drive by wire system. There is no throttle cable on the dart it's all electronic. I feel that there is intermittent signal loss coming from the pedal to the throttle body. The reason I don't feel this "pulsing" is because I have a Sprint Booster Throttle Enhancer. Next time you're at the dealer, ask them to check out the drive by wire system and see if there's any single loss.

Second, and less likely but still possible would be the traction control system. Could be a problem where the system is breaking the car because it thinks there is a substantial loss in traction.

just my two cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only thing i could think of is it just doesn't have enough "umph"
Try keeping the rpms higher before shifting if you're trying to pick up quickly. Or if your not, just don't be so heavy on the gas pedal. It may be as simple as changing your shift point for your style of driving. Hopefully it's not a defect in the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts