Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 Dart SXT with the turbo and the 6-speed trans. It only has 3K miles and since about the 200 mile mark, the car has been "pulsing" when I accelerate thru 2nd and 3rd gear. By "pulsing" I mean it goes into 2nd gear, climbs to about 3K rpms and the vehicle lunges several times before I can even begin the process of shifting into 3rd gear. When I shift into 3rd, the same lunging occurs. There has been no check engine lights, and while at the dealership today the service manager couldn't tell me why the car was doing it. After two hours of taking everyone in the service department on a test drive, and after eveyone confirming my observations were correct, still no answer. Then, the service manager asked me to test drive a used 13 Limited with the turbo, and it too did the same thing when shifting through 2nd and 3rd gear. In the end, I left with a brand new car still doing the same thing and Dodge has no clue what is wrong. Oh yeah, if you accelerate gingerly, or wild and crazy, you won't observe any of the "pulsing." It just happens when you have the throttle at about 50 to 65% power. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Contacted the dealer again today to address some possible solutions suggested by other forum members, and...still nothing. Dodge told dealer the "surging" or "pulsing" I mentioned above is a normal characteristic of the Multi-Air Turbo. Funny (no, not really. It's pissing me off) that the car didn't surge when I bought it, there is no mention of the surging characteristic of the Turbo listed in any Dodge brochure, commercial, web site or dealer pre-sale conversation. Not that I'm bashing the dealer, they seem to be as aggressive as I am about finding a solution.
I just find it hard to believe that I am supposed to accept this vehicle characteristic as being normal. Still looking for any thoughts, personal experience, or possible solutions.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My car doesn't do this. I did notice however that if you have the traction control on, it tries to over compensate. If it detects the slightest wheel hop/slip it engauges. I have since started driving with the traction control off. The car accelerates even better and there's no stuttering or surging at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This exact thing happens to me

I was told it was turbo lag. At this point, I'm about ready to contact my state's attorneys office. I now hate the Dart commercials because I don't get to do what those drivers do. I have to drive like my grandmother. I thought this was going to be a fun car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Main reason I did not buy the turbo model, It was made to be a fuel economy car. Not a performace one IMO.

You could have several things going on.

Fuel flow, vacuum leak, faulty bypass vaulve (BOV), compressor surge from the turbo, TPS, Plug gap & wires. All things I have seen cause this before on other turbo cars.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds like turbo lag, especially if you have the DDCT...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Turbo lag is not a surge of power like he is explaining. It is the delay that it takes from the time the pedal is smashed to the time the turbo responds & hits boost levels.

·
Registered
173 Posts
could there be a problem in the drive by wire system? Intermittent single loss maybe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to see that I am not crazy! I have had my Dart back to the dealer twice and both times they couldn't replicate this - I told them it seems to be mainly when its cold. They tried to tell me it's because I had too many accessories on...what??? (um..no i didn't) ANd then the 2nd time in, it was labled TUrbo Lag ....ok, then fix it!!! No, it's probably my driving...great! This is where my being a female drivng a 6 spd becomes the problem...I am bringing it back to the dealer next week for yet another body alignment problem and I will be mentioning these posts - Thank you!!!

PS--anyone else out there have their rear passenger doors rubbing against the door frame when they close ...they "fixed" the right side, now the left is catching.......I love my car, but this I am getting very frustrating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is a Chrysler STAR case about this surge/lag. It is a characteristic of the multi-air system. The computer now controls intake valve opening on the turbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is a Chrysler STAR case about this surge/lag. It is a characteristic of the multi-air system. The computer now controls intake valve opening on the turbo
Glad I checked back, I'll have to call the dealership with this information. To date, I've talked 3 people out of buying a Dart and into a competitor's car. Not that anyone from Dodge would be reading this, but they need to address this or get me out of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did not buy the turbo , just more moving parts to worry about, also because a buddy of mine had a turbo in a jetta and it froze up after warrenty of course, cost him over a grand to repair it. I went with the 2.0

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 1.4t with the 6 speed manual I have around 13912 miles and I love my dart its pretty fast I put some pipes and a cold air so far nothing big but I to have noticed this pulsing in second and third however on my car I did receive a check engine light and the electronic throttle control light also went on my dart never did this up until 1 week ago I checked the codes two were unknown and the other two were the same code it said manifold pressure absolute barometric I have no clue if its the throttle or a sensor or my intake manifold all I do know is dodge is fixing my mess immediately. But had to bring it up because some are saying the turbo is lagging which may be true but even so there shouldn't be pulsing while shifting its a bigger problem. The main issue with the turbo is the intercooler it's paired with. Its tiny no room for air to build that's why there is no top end power for that upgrade the intercooler it will take more time to build up power but the top end power will be awesome and for throttle response look into a gopedal. But before that make dodge fix your car and tell them to stop playing.stupid and do their job

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kellylynn.
I was at the Dodge dart forum and you had asked a while back if anyone else had an issue with the rear door rubbing against the door frame. I just noticed my dart doing that.
I was worried it was from a minor rear bumper collision I had a month ago. Reading your comment I was wondering if it's a design flaw. I want to fix it before it damages the inside of the door.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was told it was turbo lag. At this point, I'm about ready to contact my state's attorneys office. I now hate the Dart commercials because I don't get to do what those drivers do. I have to drive like my grandmother. I thought this was going to be a fun car.
you did buy the gas saver version. was you expecting a race car? MS3 or ST would be those.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Glad I checked back, I'll have to call the dealership with this information. To date, I've talked 3 people out of buying a Dart and into a competitor's car. Not that anyone from Dodge would be reading this, but they need to address this or get me out of it.
you want dodge to hear about it? call chrysler Corp. or email [email protected]
another guy got his problem about his dart answered quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed this when I'm in 2nd and 3rd gear when I hit 3k rpm. It isn't a lag, it feels like the car hesitates right at 3k then continues to accelerate. I was considering changing plugs and wires but idk if that would have any effect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts