Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the clutch in these cars is adjustable? It appears to be a mechanical, (as opposed to a hydraulic) clutch, and I know that some of the older cars with a mechanical clutch could be adjusted to a certain degree.

The clutch in my car grabs almost on the floor, which is a lot lower than what I'm used to. My Jetta grabs where I would expect it to, in the mid range so it's a drastic difference between the two, and makes for an interesting couple of miles when I switch between cars.

thanks

Exco

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would ask the dealer. Just about every adjustment on these cars is done via a computer. I would imagine the clutch if adjustable is set to specs via a diagnostic computer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks for the response.

I haven't been too impressed with my service department of late. They seem to be mostly parts changers and not true techs.

Exco

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would think whether hydraulic or mechanical there would be some adjustment. My Dart is auto so I don't know specifically for the Dart. Does the peddle seem lower, closer to the floor than the brake peddle. If the clutch is mechanical there should be adjusment at one end or the other, usually the clutch end would have cable adjustment for initial set up. Are you sure it isn't hydraulic? Even hydraulic clutch systems have some adjustability both at the peddle to master cylinder or at the slave cylinder to clutch lever.

Did you test drive any other manual trans Dart? Maybe they all engage close to the floor.
Maybe some of the other manual trans members will chime in. I like to know how things work so I would be crawling under the dash looking at the peddle or digging around under the hood trying to understand the system.

Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure it isn't hydraulic? Even hydraulic clutch systems have some adjustability both at the peddle to master cylinder or at the slave cylinder to clutch lever.

Did you test drive any other manual trans Dart? Maybe they all engage close to the floor.
Maybe some of the other manual trans members will chime in. I like to know how things work so I would be crawling under the dash looking at the peddle or digging around under the hood trying to understand the system.

Hope you get it figured out.
The clutch peddle appears to be lined up with the brake pedal as far as orientation, distance from the floor, etc. The clutch will engage after only about 1-2 inches off of the floor. I haven't driven the car very much (perhaps put about 75-80 miles on it), so I still tend to buck a bit, and my timing is way off when it comes to shifting gears... I'm either back on the gas too soon, or too late, so gear changes are anything but smooth.

I crawled under the dash, inspected the peddle, and it appears as though the peddle is attached to a rod of sorts that runs through the firewall and into/ towards the trans-axle. I also didn't see any sort of master cylinder or fluid reservoir on the fire wall like you would normally see with a hydraulic clutch set up.

I bought the only Dart that they had on the lot with a 6MT. I did test drive a Dart last year when I bought my Jetta, but I think it was a 2.0 with a different tranny, as the gear box felt entirely different (a lot more slop and play when shifting) to the point where I didn't like the car. I don't recall where the clutch on that one grabbed though

Yes, hopefully others will chime in.

Exco

1 - 5 of 5 Posts