Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading some of the comments of the Hardcore Mopar fans and most of them are not too kind about the dart. I too am a Mopar fan and have been for years. The fact that Dodge brought back the Dart as a Economy car is no reason to say this was a failure. Every car that Chrysler produces cannot be a Hemi or a Muscle car. The original dart was produced as a economy car back in the seventies with a slant six. Only after a few years did they start offering the V-8 and the craze for the dart took off. Chrysler seems to heading in this direction with this dart as well, rumors of a SRT4 and even trying to shoe horn the pentastar under the hood. I purchased the car for the looks and the features and the mileage. I don't care that it is not a Muscle car. With the cafe standards kicking in 2015 The days of the big engines will slip into history as a foot note. I like most Muscle car fans will hate to see this happen, But unfortunately progress demands change and it is not always for the good. When is the last time you forgot your cell phone and tried to find a phone booth ....
Chrysler put a lot of thought and engineering into this car and IMO they hit it on the head, and as they work the bugs out it will be proven over time.

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
I don't think it is a failure. It's the 1st production year so there will be issues. Just based on what I've been reading it seems though that you either have a good one or a lemon and a few that have minor issues but easy fixes in between the two extremes. This production year should work most of the bugs out.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I hope you are both right !!!!! I purchased my black Dart SE in Feb. 2013. Great looking car, great mileage. I just wish it didn't have so many annoying little quirks and bugs to work out. Chrysler always brags about their great engineering staff. The engineering in Dart leaves a lot to be desired. Many interior parts are made of cheap low grade materials that just don't hold up to normal service, i.e. blower motor bearings, gaskets, and speaker components. I have been a frequent visitor to my local dealership. I get promises, service bulletins to read, and a lot of excuses. Its beginning to be with MOPAR I have NO CAR. Chrysler needs to get their heads out of their butts and produce decent cars, stand behind them, and repair them right the first time

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not a failure

From a sales standpoint the car has not had the reception that Dodge would like. The engines and transmissions may have contributed to that. Many feel the 2.0 is underpowered and those who are not familiar with the DDCT don't like it with the 1.4. It appears to me that they waited far too long to get the 2.4 into production. We waited for the GT with its 2.4 to come out, but it was a long wait. For 2014 they have greatly expanded the availability of the 2.4 which I think will help. Not making the racetrack rear lights standard was a huge mistake IMO. I continue to be amazed at the features available in this car for the price. The 2.4 is not a rocket but has enough more power than the 2.0 to make a difference. Honestly, the GT is a great car and my son loves it. I would consider one for me, but would get the limited for the not quite so firm ride of the GT. When they add the SRT version that will make the die hard fans happier. For now, it is nice to not see them everywhere and the Dart is still rather exclusive. It looks great, drives great, and has features that normally one has to spend many thousands more to get. All in all, we love our "Charger's little brother" and would not have considered anything else.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the reason we purchased a dart as well, the amount of features it came with, and as you say it is rather exclusive still, but I do see them a little more on the road now compared to last spring.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would have to agree with triple d and bones... the price they r at u get one hell of a car... and u can upgrade it to perform a lot better and u still will be under the price that a lot of the other cars in its category r goin for... I believe that this car and especially mine have a lot of potential to get where u want it to be!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
actually back when they first introduced the car and ran it a few times to give us the numbers for the 1.4 and 2.0 model i thought the car was going to be junk. i laughed and scorned the little mid sized sedan. i called her a pig of a car and said she would not be any good for the chrysler line up and they was making a mistake. well when the 2014 GT came out i thought that id atleast give that one a chance an test drive it. i swear the GT made me take back most of what i said. she is still a pig of a car and i guarantee with a weight reduction to get the car down to 3000 even would make her a more formidable comparison for the civic, focus and what ever else they throw at the dart. im glad i bought my GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts