Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here, but I havn't been able to find a good guide on plasti dipping your tires. I know there's a couple how to videos and guides online, but I could not find a single one for the Dart specifically. (Btw, first thread I've ever made, ever)

Step 1: Outlining your project.
The easiest most efficient way I believe is taking your wheel off and spraying it on a flat surface. This way, it was a lot easier to spray the rim and not your brake pad/caliper and Hub. Whatever way works best for you, do it, you can leave the tire on the car, but I would not suggest it.​
Step 2: Buying your materials.
The materials you need. What I bought was some painters tape, but a cheaper and better alterative is buying some index cards, and placing them between the rim and the wheel, but I used painters tape. And of course plasti-dip, You can find them online, But I was able to snag a couple cans at Home Depot. You will also need a microfiber cloth, most people have them, but you can find it at your walmart, or at automotive shops.​

1 roll of painters tape, or 1 pack of 100 notecards.
4-5 cans of plasti dip, it cost me around 30 dollars total!
1 microfiber cloth​
Step 3: Prepping your wheel.
This is a fairly simple process. You can not have your wheel wet when you try to spray it on! You just need water and a regular cloth, gently wet it, and wipe off all of the dirt and grime on your wheels (The car should be fairly new, but you never know ;) ) make sure they are completely clean and dry before applying the paint.​
Step 4: taking your wheels off.
This is a fairly simple process. In your trunk, there is a compartment under the cloth, with a spare wheel. Twist the handle that is holding the jack and tire iron and take them out. If you have a jack that can completely lift the car over the ground, to do all 4 of them at once, Use it! but if not, this is the guide for you. Locate your first tire, and look under the car for a little lip, that is where you position the jack, you should have it probably a foot away from the wheel. Next use your tire iron to loosen the bolts in your rim. Then use the same tire iron, and connect it to the jack, and lift your car up just enough so you can get your rim off. I will have some pictures, later tonight, when I have the time.​
Step 5: The fun Part.
Alright, you have your first tire off, and clean, now put the index cards between the rim and the wheel, or tape atleast an inch and a half over the tire. Now Make sure you don't do this in the sunlight, an open garage is the perfect place. So grab your first can of plasti dip, make sure to shake it vigorously, stand around 6 inches away from the rim, and spray. Your first coat of paint is a dust, I'd say around a half a second of spray and lightly sway it and get a nice soft even coat. This is just to have an area so the next layers can attach to it, Do not go over zealous on your first coat. Now that you have lightly dusted your first layer, take a break, you can start prepping the other tires and washing them at this time. Wait around 20 minutes or so, and do your second layer. This layer is more of an actual layer this time, just make sure you do not bubble the paint, leave it in one spot for too long, or get to close. Just make an even layer around, and this time wait for 35-45 minutes. The third layer is just as easy, just apply evenly following the steps from coat #2. Wait 35-45 minutes, and check on it, If it looks perfect, then you may choose to skip a 4th coating, it's really based upon your liking.​
Step 6: Repeat.
Do the rest of the tires exactly like you did the first one. It does take 4 hours to dry completely, so do this on a Sunday where you have no where to be. Its fairly simple after you do your first one. After all 4 of them are done, or if using the simple jack, after the first one is done, put your tire/tires back on the same way you took it off, but be very wary of scratching the paint when putting the bolts back on.​
Step 7: Congratulations.
You are complete! Step back and look at how nice your tires look. I will be doing some visual enhancements to this guide, including pictures, but someone should message me how to attach pictures inside threads. ;)
As this is my first ever thread, please give me constructive feedback, but please don't bash my thread, its all for the common good
Peace and love,​
REDRALLEYE​

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone has anymore tips, feel free to share! and of course if anyone wants to share how to post pictures, it'd make my guide a lot better!! :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yeah I was checking out www.dipyourcar.com the other day too. Good video of dipping a dart wheel without removing it. They were showing how to use a garbage bag to protect the calipur and rotor. They didn't even use masking to show how to overspray then peel the dip off the tire.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice write up...thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts