Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with either?
I am looking to increase the already great mileage a little more.

I am apprehensive about some of the CAIs as the design looks like it might be susceptible to heat soak.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Cold Air Intake system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed a K&N cone about 4 days ago. although I'm run with the 1.4T instead of 2.0. There is a highway mpg gain but being that I installed it 4 days ago I'm still in lead foot mode. My Injen CAI should be here today.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i cant wait for my next two paychecks to get a CAI, but... i have a 2.4 will a 2.0 CAI work?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure either will give you any mileage gains. A CAI will give you a little more sound though.
the wife wants the Dart to stay quiet...we have the challenger when we need loud :D

I installed a K&N cone about 4 days ago. although I'm run with the 1.4T instead of 2.0. There is a highway mpg gain but being that I installed it 4 days ago I'm still in lead foot mode. My Injen CAI should be here today.
can you get up to highway speeds and get a reading on the mpg before and after the swap?

I really don't want to drop 2 bills on something that isn't going to deliver.

thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
284 Posts
power sound or mpg? what you looking for?
power, CAI
sound, either
MPG, CAI,lol.
TADAAAAA!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
power sound or mpg? what you looking for?
power, CAI
sound, either
MPG, CAI,lol.
TADAAAAA!
power? lol We didn't purchase the Dart for speed.

per the original posting I am looking for MPG, absolutely no sound increase.

And not all CAIs work as advertised, some have heat soak issues with the intermediate tube.
This is why I am waiting to see mpg results from bones95.

Even if the $40 drop-in doesn't provide a bump in MPG, it will pay for itself after a few services as a stock replacement air filter is about $12.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So very shortly after my last post I received my injen CAI. So of course I had to install it. But I only istalled as a sri. That way filter would be getting hot air as a k&n would. Plus its the rainy season so I didn't want to worry about water. After a full tank I was pretty much running 34 mpg even. Better gas mileage defiantly if mainly highway. The big difference I noticed between the 2 setups is that it is a lot easier to kill gas mileage in stop and go than with stock. Could be because of filter placement and the fact that it is all hot air. Once driving though there is air flow and mpg shoots way up. Right after fill up I hit the highway and once at cruise for about 20 minutes i hit 37.5 mpg. Never touched that mark before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oops. Stock i was running around 33.5 mpg with same drive. Now as soon as I find the time and gap in the weather I will put on down pipe to make true CAI and let you know the difference between stock sri and CAI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know if the filter sock that repels water hinders air flow at all?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not worry with the sock, unless you really drown it you should be fine.
If you are using an oiled filter it will repel some water.
If it's a 'dry' filter I'm not sure.

Waiting to see results with the Ingen setup installed as designed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
anybody got a go or no on the mpg difference between drop-in vs stock & CAI vs stock?
$40 for a K&N drop-in vs $200 for a CAI is a large margin.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, in lue of feedback I'll be going with the K&N drop in replacement.
In past testing with numerous other vehicles, the MPG improvement between the drop in & CAI has been less than 5%
I will post up differences once the drop in is installed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
power? lol We didn't purchase the Dart for speed.

per the original posting I am looking for MPG, absolutely no sound increase.

And not all CAIs work as advertised, some have heat soak issues with the intermediate tube.
This is why I am waiting to see mpg results from bones95.

Even if the $40 drop-in doesn't provide a bump in MPG, it will pay for itself after a few services as a stock replacement air filter is about $12.
maybe so but, your looking for information on MPG from an engine that is better then it then the 2.0. Bones has a 1.4L which will always(if driven properly) get better MPG then a 2.0. so his actual MPG will not effect you in the slightest. i have the CAI and i love it. i live in the city and i drive a little lively to say the least and im still averaging 27ish city miles. but the INSTANT thing on your TFT display is not your ACCURATE MPG. the only way to see your true MPG is to install it, fill tank, drive tank empty. divide mile by the gallons you refil with and then you will see difference.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe so but, your looking for information on MPG from an engine that is better then it then the 2.0. Bones has a 1.4L which will always(if driven properly) get better MPG then a 2.0. so his actual MPG will not effect you in the slightest. i have the CAI and i love it. i live in the city and i drive a little lively to say the least and im still averaging 27ish city miles. but the INSTANT thing on your TFT display is not your ACCURATE MPG. the only way to see your true MPG is to install it, fill tank, drive tank empty. divide mile by the gallons you refil with and then you will see difference.
I would be looking at the change, not the actual peak MPG. So the comparison from another forum member and the change in the displayed moving avg mpg on the dash is relevant.
I have since purchased and installed a K&N drop-in, so far city mileage is about the same and the supposed 5 hp increase is not detectable via the butt dyno.
We will be making a highway trip soon and I'll post up if there is any change in highway MPG.

·
Registered
284 Posts
you will never see 5hp from a drop in filter, especially when the 180+ dollar SRI from K&N gives 3hp for the 2.0. the drop in filiter would be more like 1 to 2 hp and maybe 1 ft lbs,lol. i bought the injen CAI and installed it. i did have a drop in for a while. but i like loud and performance. the 26.5mpg im averaging currently in city is better then i was before. and i dont drive like a slowpoke so if that gives you any idea on the CAI. ill be taking a trip to MI from VA here its 690miles and i know its late for the item but ill report back with my HWY MPG on the trip there and back.

also tell me what you think of the 2.0? im looking at getting either a 13 rallye or a 13 SXT for my wife and she only drives auto.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts