Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up my local Dodge dealership the other day, because I was thinking my engine coolant looked a little on the lower side. They told me that 1 gallon of it is going to cost $36.10 >.< Any news on whether the aftermarket world is working on it?

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
I did a little looking with a Google search. Could not find and aftermarket product so you may be stuck purchasing from the dealer. What ever you do, don't mix any other type in with it. If it's just a little low in the bottle, distilled water will work.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Be careful, if its low, it may be leaking at the thermostat gasket, thermostat cover, and /or hoses. Mine was. I had the car back three times before they figured it out. One more cooling system leak and Im going to lemon law this car. The coolant can be purchased at a good auto part store get the Number off the reservoir cap. The clowns at Chrysler will tell you the coolant cant be found but it can. They also tell you not to dilute it 50/50 with water. They told me if you ever add distilled water to the cooling system they will void your warranty

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
They told me if you ever add distilled water to the cooling system they will void your warranty
If you look on page 580 of the owners manual it will tell you to mix 50/50 with distilled water. You need to call your dealer on that one if they told you that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dennis, not every dealer may be as incompetent as yours. I have complete confidence in my dealer as I have had a relationship with them since 1987. Our Dart has not required any service visits so far in the 7 months we have owned it.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I'm glad you found a dealer that isn't and I hope you NEVER have the problems and experiences that I and many others have had with the Dart. The problems seem to be a mix between poor quality in parts and workmanship as well as poor service after the sale. Who ever heard of a car with 5,000 miles on it, with rotted radiator hoses, a cracked thermostat cover, and bad thermostat gasket. True the dealer is incompetent and from what I see on here, so are many other dealers. My dealer is a family franchised dealer(in business 25 years) that owns a Chevrolet Dealership, and an Enterprise Car rental too! I don't know what State you live in, I'm in NJ, and most of the dealers here tend to say that the Dart is a first year car ( I have a 2013) and they don't know that much about them. Hence it took them 3 tries at 3 days a try to figure out a minor problem, that should never existed in the first place. You seem to be very brand loyal, and so was I. I purchased a 2004 Dodge Dakota brand new and have only had to do normal maintenance to it over the years. In closing my car may be straightened out now, and if its not, I'm going to use NJ's comprehensive Lemon Law to get the automobile I paid for. I hope you have the best of luck with your Dart, it sounds like you may have gotten a good one. Is yours a 2014? Mine is a 2013, I hear that most of the bugs are gone in 2014. I will never purchase a first year car again. Also I owned a 1973 Dart which I purchased used in 1977 for $1500. from a dealer, I never had a problem with it, and traded it four years later and got $2000. for it, LOL

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally had time before work to get my car into the local dealership. They filled up my coolant for no charge and told me to bring it back in if it gets low again and they'll figure out what's up. I'll have to check the Thermostat cover/gasket and see if they're looking since they checked the Radiator hose, for the most part.

·
Banned
106 Posts
If you want to see if the thermostat housing and/or gasket is leaking, let the vehicle set overnight after driving it during the day. the next morning before starting it, after it has set overnight, pop the hood go to the front passenger side. look down the side of the engine with a flashlight, you will see a small silver pocket on the bottom side of the engine half way between the front grill and the windshield. If that little pocket has pink coolant in it, the thermostat gasket and/ or thermostat cover is leaking and both should be replaced. I hope this helps you, I have heard that most coolant system leaks in the Dart are in this area. My dealer pressure tested my car for three days at 25 lbs. of pressure and the leak didn't show up. I talked to another owner that had the same problem and he told me how find the leak, the service manager was dumb founded and skeptical but check my car as explained above and sure enough they found the leak. Good luck!!!! Owning this car has been an education, lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dennis, our Dart is a 2013, but it was the GT model that did not go into production until late summer of 2013. Ours was made in September of 2013, so it had to be one of the last 2013's made. The GT was originally supposed to be the RT and was delayed and delayed. Frankly, I am not sure why Dodge bothered making the few 2013 GT's that were made. There were zero changes for 2014 so we snagged the 2013 at the end of October, 2013. There seems to be a lot fewer complaints about the GT model than the other 2013's, so I hope we got a good one. You should absolutely utilize your state lemon law to the max. Make them make it right if you can meet the requirements of the law. Here in Kansas the law works pretty well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to see if the thermostat housing and/or gasket is leaking, let the vehicle set overnight after driving it during the day. the next morning before starting it, after it has set overnight, pop the hood go to the front passenger side. look down the side of the engine with a flashlight, you will see a small silver pocket on the bottom side of the engine half way between the front grill and the windshield. If that little pocket has pink coolant in it, the thermostat gasket and/ or thermostat cover is leaking and both should be replaced. I hope this helps you, I have heard that most coolant system leaks in the Dart are in this area. My dealer pressure tested my car for three days at 25 lbs. of pressure and the leak didn't show up. I talked to another owner that had the same problem and he told me how find the leak, the service manager was dumb founded and skeptical but check my car as explained above and sure enough they found the leak. Good luck!!!! Owning this car has been an education, lol
Thanks, I'll take a look in the morning. Getting help and advice from other enthusiasts is the reason I joined this Forum. :]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts