Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2013 Dart with the 2.0DOHC engine. The head gasket blew on this car and coolant sprayed out all over the drivers side shock tower. I bought this car for my 17 year old daughter to take to college. There is no rust, exterior and interior are in very good condition so not a bad buy for $750. The car has 112,000 miles on it. New tires, brakes and WV inspection. I have done mechanic work all my life and I’m excited about ripping into this car. I must admit I’m a Ford guy and in my book a dodge is a step above a GM. Questions I have, what is a good service manual and where do I purchase it. Second , parts are hard to come by, Advance Auto said the head gasket set timing chain tensioner and guides all have to come from the factory. Where is a good place to get a head if mine is cracked or warped beyond salvaging. I know the man I bought the car off of and it started getting hot but never got enough to boil or blow something. I told him back in the summer it sounded like a head gasket issue. About 3 weeks ago he was coming home and coolant blew out of the engine and the temp gauge shot up. He put it along side the rose and shut it off. Had it towed to his house. The engine starts but is running a little rough and check engine light is on. Haven’t scanned it but I’m assuming miss fires because of the blown head gasket. How likely is 1 the head to be cracked and 2 the block itself to be cracked.

·
Registered
14 Dodge dart sxt 2.4
7 Posts
One way to find out tear it apart and have a look. I've done lots of customers vehicles back in the day where 99 percent of the time both we're fine. Just needed a new head gasket and cleaning/ hot tanked. Although I don't ever rule a head gasket issue without a leak down test first. I've seen crazy things where you think for sure it's a head gasket issue but turned out it wasn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully I will get started on taking the head off in the next two weeks. Still working on my garage. I’m pretty sure the head gasket is blown, because there is coolant in the oil. It actually raised the level on the dip stick about half an inch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts