Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically use a pressure washer on the grimier cars but since my Dart is so new there's no need. Wet the engine with the vehicle off, spray a very mild degreaser(too strong of a degreaser can do serious damage to the electrical components and even eat away at the metal and leave ugly stains). Let it set for awhile and rinse it off (pressure washer is fine). With it still wet, start the engine and spray some sort of engine dressing on it(water based is best), and let it run for awhile until the engine dressing is no longer noticeable and you're left with a showroom shine!

Several people I know like to degrease, rinse, dry with compressed air, and then spray the engine dressing on with everything under the hood dry. I however have found that if you rinse it off and leave it wet and spray the water based engine dressing on that it tends to get a more thorough coating of the components in the engine bay as the water sheds and evaporates from the engine.

You can do it however you prefer but do NOT use silicone based dressing (most tire shines) on your engine. It can ruin electrical connections after it accumulates and bakes on. Hence the reason for the water-based vs. the silicone. I hope this gives some insight to y'all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know what he uses, but I like to use this method that I make at home (my wife is into all these crafty, Pintrest-y things) :
Pour 1 gallon of water into a bucket, adding 1/2 cup of borax, 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent, and 1 tablespoon of ammonia. Stir the solution and pour it into a spray bottle for use. The excess solution can be stored for later use in an empty jug or bottle.

(Pintrist is the Devil BTW!!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.