Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm new to these forums and I searched a little but not a lot because I really didn't want to or have the time right now. I just have a simple question and a life story I wanted to ask/share.

I am looking to purchase a new Dart here in the first quarter of this year and on paper with the numbers/weight of vehicle it should be a decently "quick" (i use that term loosely) car but with "tests"/reviews I have seen it is not. I have driven one myself and I really like it, it is a peppy little guy. The trans will be automatic and maybe that's where I think its not as slow as I read because it will be my first automatic in almost 3 years. The car I'm comparing it to in my head is my previous car which was my 5spd 2012 VW Golf 2.5L which on paper is less powerful but on "tests" is a whole second faster than what I read. My butt dyno and test driving the car felt just as quick as my Golf. Now speed/power are not an issue as I'm pretty much over that since I'm going to be trading in my Stage 2 2012 GTI which to me is something I would consider "fast" at least tons faster than the Dart haha. But like I said that doesn't matter to me lol.

But my main question is, what makes this car "slow"? The one I will be purchasing is the 2.4L with 184HP....

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone I know how some people get about cars and terrible grammar... I just want an answer.

Thanks for your time, Mike

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't think the Dart is slow. I have the 2.0 with the Auto and am very happy with the performance. My previous ride was a 02 Neon with the 2.0 and Manual. The Dart weighs more than my old Neon but performs much better.

·
Registered
284 Posts
unfortunately the auto is about 4 to 6 tenths slower then the manual dart.(this is about a car length in a drag race. unless your not trying to get a race oriented car. the lower gear ratio will make it slower as well. the powertech offered in Hyundai vehicles is a much better version of the trans is IMHO better then what is offered in the dart. there are some nice mods to be done with the powertech and soon a turbo kit will be out for the dart BUT!!!!!!! if you can hold out till the end of the year. the new hurricane will be available. and this will be 250-270 hp from a 2.0 turbo and offer just as good if not better MPG then a 1.4 with a better engine to start off with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel my new Dart 2.4L I bought on 01/02/2015 is peppy in the low RPM range, but at highway speeds and passing, it is kinda sluggish on the jump. Which I think is due to the 6 speed tranny which has to down shift twice to get the torque. Maybe a throttle kit mod for more sensitive throttle and maybe a tuner to boost horse power are in order. What you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
wish i would have known about the more aggressive engine coming out soon. but I got an end of the year, hell of a deal for mine so I cant complain.

·
Registered
284 Posts
wish i would have known about the more aggressive engine coming out soon. but I got an end of the year, hell of a deal for mine so I cant complain.
did you get the auto or manual? ehh, either way there is a company called HPSI Motorsports and they have a full on real 1 on 1 tune coming out that will make these cars much better all around.

to the OP. the Dart GT with the MPH that i have seen REAL drivers get in the 1/4 mile proves that the dart GT has the potential to get a mid 15 stock. im no pro driver so my 1/4 mile time was poor, but my trap speed was good. i got 88 mph stock. i have seen a couple drivers get 91mph stock showing the potential is there. its just a matter of getting a good driver behind the wheel. motortrend and car and driver have poor opinions of the dart because Chrysler refused to pay for good reviews. the dart GT with the powertech shows a time of 16.2 meaning the manual can get beter times.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I purchased a dart to be different , too many chevy cruzes and ford fusions running around, my brother-in-law just bought a 2014 chevy cruze , said he got a employee discount and paid 22K??? I paid almost 23k and got a lot more in accesories I.E. touch radio, backup cam, configurable dash. He got none of that... I thought since was a 14, the dealer should have gave him a better deal seeing they should be clearing out and making room for the 15's. Glad I got the Dart....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi there! I'm new to these forums and I searched a little but not a lot because I really didn't want to or have the time right now. I just have a simple question and a life story I wanted to ask/share.

I am looking to purchase a new Dart here in the first quarter of this year and on paper with the numbers/weight of vehicle it should be a decently "quick" (i use that term loosely) car but with "tests"/reviews I have seen it is not. I have driven one myself and I really like it, it is a peppy little guy. The trans will be automatic and maybe that's where I think its not as slow as I read because it will be my first automatic in almost 3 years. The car I'm comparing it to in my head is my previous car which was my 5spd 2012 VW Golf 2.5L which on paper is less powerful but on "tests" is a whole second faster than what I read. My butt dyno and test driving the car felt just as quick as my Golf. Now speed/power are not an issue as I'm pretty much over that since I'm going to be trading in my Stage 2 2012 GTI which to me is something I would consider "fast" at least tons faster than the Dart haha. But like I said that doesn't matter to me lol.

But my main question is, what makes this car "slow"? The one I will be purchasing is the 2.4L with 184HP....

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone I know how some people get about cars and terrible grammar... I just want an answer.

Thanks for your time, Mike
It's built for economy, not speed.
I purchased a 2.0 auto limited for my wife, she loves it. Has all kinds of options.
I am ok with it, it's hard for me to fit into it comfortably.
I don't think I would say it's terribly slow, but it's not fast.
What makes up for the lack of speed is the savings at the pump - it gets outstanding mileage.

The 2.4 should be quicker than the 2.0 we have, so you may be okay with it.
If you want something comparable to your VW, wait for the new model year's offerings. I am glad to hear dodge is offering a version of the dart that will keep up with the VWs and the Fusions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love my 2.0 its all around d fun to drive.its a auto but it still shits and gets.I mean I was satisfied on how fast I got it up to 123 on highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have defeated many coffee can racer wannabes in my dart...and only once iI had to floor it to stay. ahead of the guy. My tiger shark 2.4 is plenty powerful and I'm satisfied with performance.mileage is comparable to my turbo cruze and is way smoother. Overall A for my dart when it comes to performance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In the end it is your decision on what you get, their are a lot of choices out there, test drive as many as you can, and get what you think is best. Some on here say it is a great car, others hate it and wish they never bought it... personally we have not had any problems with ours and we like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts