Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is having any trouble finding somewhere to wire in LED light strips, I may have an answer for you. Yes, it is a decent amount to read, but it is a lot easier than trying to figure out how to do it by trial and error. This weekend I will be posting a video on YouTube showing how I did it. I will post the link in this topic as soon as the video is up.

First I started off by trying to find the fuses. I have directly wired LED strips to fuses in the car before, usually the 12 volt plug fuse. Well let's just say after finding where the fuses were located... That option was thrown away.

The way I figured would be easiest and would work the best was to wire it to the headlight switch. No cutting or stripping or splicing of the cars wires was needed which I find to be a large plus.

Getting to the wiring harness was relatively easy. First, when you open the driver door, there will be a bubble looking piece all the way on the left of the dash. That is only secured to the rest of the dash by "plugs". I had trouble just pulling it out, so I used a flat head VERY CAREFULLY to pry it off. Once that was off there were two Phillips head screws on the left side to remove in order to pull the panel off of the dash. ( the panel will not pull all the way off as there are screws on the right side of the panel as well. You only need to get the left side of the panel off however. After that, You can easily access the harness for the Headlight switch. There is a tab on the bottom of the harness that needs to be pushed in as you pull the harness out. once the harness is out it is smooth sailing from there. The harness has four wires on it: Yellow - Orange - Black - White. In dealing with other car electronics in the past I've found that orange wires are usually a "remote" power wire, and obviously Black is the negative ground.

Usually LED strips have thin wires so this made the next part very easy. Strip only a couple of millimeters off the wires. Then you can twist the stripped wires to make them nice and compact and straight. Next insert the positive wire from the LED strip into the back of the harness in the same slot the orange wire feeds into. Use electrical tape around the base of the wire to hold it in place so it does not slip out of the harness. Next insert the negative wire from the LED strip into the back of the harness where the black wire is being held in the harness, again use electrical tape to secure the wire. Plug the harness back into the headlight switch and you should be good to go. ALSO, test the set-up before securing the panels back in place.

I will be posting a video on youtube this weekend so you can see all of these steps and processes. Hopefully I was helpful to anyone having any problems. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would be concerned that not bonding the wires to the harness with either a solder or crimp connector you have a loose connection which will generate heat and possably short. I work with several types of connectors like the automotive ones and realying on contact only for your connection is not a good idea. Your direction is good though for where to tap power from. My personal opinion would be to ensure you have bonded connection. Thanks for the right up. It will def help people to get thier lights hooked up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts