Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here on the Dart forum Z...just like on all the other car forums...altering what the factory does to feed air to an engine is always a place many try to mod. The 2 things everyone is going for is one...a better "sound" from under the hood when WOT is used...and 2...the most misunderstood...for a small HP gain. I'm posting this to try to help those who don't know...and are willing to hear...the simple truth has defined by the laws of physics when talking about the HP changes to a CAI system. There are 2 ways HP is effected for better or worse by the way an engine gets its air. The first is total air available at any given throttle setting with the least amount of restriction. Any given engine at any given throttle setting has a limit of how much air it needs maximum and any more that is available over that amount is a total waste. This is where most all aftermarket CAI's make their highly dubious claims of HP increases. Why do I say this? Let me try to explain. First thing you have to understand is that some very smart people are designing these systems for new cars now days and their goal is to deliver the very most HP while still protecting the engine from damage from the stuff that can be mixed in with the incoming air...ie...dirt. If you go with a filter that has bigger openings...ie..flows better...with the same amount of surface area....you might get a minor HP gain at WOT....IF....your engine is not at that limit already and can actually use this extra air....but you are doing this at the expense of letting finer dust and dirt particles into your engine. Is it worth that for a HP increase you can not even feel???...That's up to you. You can go with an aftermarket filter set up that that has the same particle filtration property's but uses more filter area it accomplish a greater amount of air available at WOT without sacrificing filtration...but then again....can the engine actually use it....remember....allot of very smart engineers have already been paid alot of money to work these equations out. My biggest gripe is with the CAI mods that actually HURT your HP and is the second of the two ways a CAI can effect HP. INCOMING AIR TEMPERATURE!!!! We all know that cooler air means a more oxygen rich charge and therefore...more HP. So that means we want to avoid sucking in any and all air from the engine compartment...PERIOD!!! The engineers know this....you should keep it in mind too when you are considering an aftermarket CAI....or doing any mods to your existing CAI. Think about it for a minuit.....what good does it do to gain a little bit of flow....if it is even needed....if your are sacrificing HP by not using the coolest air you already have. This won't show up on a dyno run by an aftermarket CAI company making their claims because of that big fan blowing cool air to an open hood with an engine that may or may not be fully warmed up.....but it will sure give you that HP loss I'm speaking of in the real world of hot summer...fully warmed engine with the hood closed driving we all do!! I do not know what the other engine combos in our Darts have for a factory CAI...but here is my 2.4. Notice that the air box is sealed from the engine compartment and draws its air from the bottom of the box via a tube that I've pointed out with that stick on it in the second pic....from behind the front end of the car. If all you care about is more sound...please disregard this whole post....LOL

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for the very insightful post.

·
Registered
768 Posts
More than happy to try to help others but I'm betting many won't like reading that...LOL...Oh well...you know what they say about opinions.:D
Loud just feels faster! How can anyone argue with that:rolleyes:. Its funny when I here the "kids?" with thier 3lb coffee can tail pipes. They sound like thier racing until you see them going by doing 15mph. Takes a lot of thought and investment to improve on performance. It usually comes at a price of sacrifice to longevity or reliability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loud just feels faster! How can anyone argue with that:rolleyes:. Its funny when I here the "kids?" with thier 3lb coffee can tail pipes. They sound like thier racing until you see them going by doing 15mph. Takes a lot of thought and investment to improve on performance. It usually comes at a price of sacrifice to longevity or reliability.
Yeah...It ain't like the old days when there where things you could do that didn't cost ya an arm and a leg....and the onboard computers wouldn't fight you every step of the way.
Hey does anyone want to buy a "chip"??? I just know it will get you 50 more HP.....and it's only 69 bucks....LMAO:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts