Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my wife's stock blinker bulbs in her Dart with red bulbs (to match the rest of the red on black theme) and found an worrying sight when I removed the blinkers.
The housing for both blinkers appears to be severely over heated, due to the daytime running lights I'm guessing.

Has anyone else found the same issue, and is Chrysler going to issue a recall or TSB to fix this? Eventually the connectors will fail and need to be replaced, which will probably be out of warranty by then.

I will be taking the Dart to the dealer for the noise coming from the front end when turning and this new found issue.

More to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thats scarry man. Makes me think of those carbeques you see allong the side of the road and wonder what caused it. I am going to pull mine and check them today.

·
Administrator
1,262 Posts
I found the sockets a little on the burned side on the Challenger when I swapped mine out to led's. I'm sure it's the DRL's, especially since they use the bright filament.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guess I will be checking the ones on my Challenger too.
On a different note: it appears that they do not make a red 7444NALL lamp, so I will be converting to LED also.
I found some inline resistors on a website but am not sure if I need 6 ohm or 25 ohm resistors for the front turn signals. Or do I need a 25 ohm for the lead for the drl element, and a 6 ohm for the lead for the turn signal element?

·
Administrator
1,262 Posts
You'll only need the resistor for the turn circuit (which is the DRL on the Challenger). I think mine were the 6 ohm. You may be able to look up the spec on the lamp and find out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I checked mine and they are burned just like yours. Are the LED the same color as stock or are you going for the red like you were talking about wanting to do? Post a pic and final info on resister requirement cause I am interested in a change too.

Thanks for the help and sharing you find.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Another solution is to turn off the DRL's.
Not sure if you can disable the DRLs on the Dart. You can on the Challenger with a snap-on scan tool through the TPIM menu.
I have them on both for safety and the looks.

You'll only need the resistor for the turn circuit (which is the DRL on the Challenger). I think mine were the 6 ohm. You may be able to look up the spec on the lamp and find out.
Thanks for the information.
I will use the wife's Dart as the test subject and possibly convert the Challenger later. The Dart uses the brighter of the dual filaments for the DRL, and the slightly dimmer for the turn signal.
The Challenger uses bright for both DRL and flasher, which looks a little goofy IMO during daytime operations. On the upside I don't need to use flash when rolling up on someone :D

I checked mine and they are burned just like yours. Are the LED the same color as stock or are you going for the red like you were talking about wanting to do? Post a pic and final info on resister requirement cause I am interested in a change too.

Thanks for the help and sharing you find.
I would like to do a dual color LED, red for the drls and amber for the turn signals.
Looks like the entire investment would be around $75 - $30 each for the dual color leds, and another $10 in pre-fabbed resistors.

Not sure when I'll get around to it, I am going to try and get the dealer to replace the lamp holders first.

I don't think the incandescent lamps are a fire hazard, but eventually the heat will cause the lamp holder to fail. The LEDs run much cooler than the traditional lamps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can disable the DRL's by going on the 8.4" display and turning them off. Can't remember which category they are under. This is available assuming one wants to turn them off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We shut off the DRL's on our dart, We had a Chevy Malibu and those sockets also burned so bad that a bulb would only last a month , I had to buy replacement sockets from rock auto and never had a problem after... I don't know if they were inferior from the factory but the replacement sockets never burned? I do think these sealed headlights tend to built up too much heat causing the sockets to melt.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wonder if they make a lower wattage bulb? Swapping to LEDs it going to be an expensive butt pain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts