Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't find a Buyer's Guide to the Dart. Anyway, I drive 40 miles each way to work and driving my Jeep everyday is putting a hurt on my wallet. I test drove a 1.4L and 2.0L (both auto's) and I have to say I do not like the dry clutch trans in the 1.4L at all. The 2.0L felt quicker and the trans was better, but not great by any means. The dealer didn't have a manual trans on the lot so I couldn't drive one, are they any better? How do you guys like the Dart? I'm assuming it'll be a pretty decent DD. How is everyone doing with gas mileage on their respective drivetrains? I'm hoping to retain 36 - 38 MPG with the Dart, it's mostly highway driving for me), is that easily feasible? Anything I should be aware of while shopping?

Thanks for the input guys...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have had my 1.4l DDCT Rallye since last September. It's my DD and it's perfect for what I need it to do, which is get me good gas mileage while still having a good looking car. I wouldn't get the 2.0l engine, IMO it's way too sluggish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I drove the dual dry clutch I wasn't impressed. It was hard to keep it out of boost. A little throttle and it downshifted two gears. Do the shifts get easier and more controlled the longer you drive it or do you just get used to it? I was thinking about the 1.4L with the 6 speed manual trans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should buy a 2L if you want to do short trips and get good mileage. The turbo does better on long runs & road-trips. I've had 51.8mpg on our move, going from az to ga; driving across texas at the time. 60mph, 6th gear, cruise control; mostly flat. I have a manual, myself. Never drove the DCT, since I wanted a manual from the beginning.

right now; i live in a hilly area, drive primarily in 4th gear at 45-55mph; rarely cruise-control. I get about 30mpg, give or take. My car is fully loaded, so it's probably heavier than most of the Darts out there & I usually have the bf with me, plus my tools in the back, so it's not bad MPG at all, especially considering I do not baby Jace at all, except on gravel roads. lol

Don't forget, after break-in & your first oil change, your MPG will get better, as well.

Getting good mpg's with the turbo relies on you not being hard on the throttle on acceleration, not having to deal with a lot of hills/long grades, and being in the right gear for the road and speed you're going. You can go 5mph and be boosting; and you can be going 95mph and not be boosting. It's learning throttle control, primarily that'll keep you under boost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had my 2013 Dart since April, 2013. I only have 351 miles on my odometer and usually drive locally about once or twice per week. I get 27 mpg when I mix in a little highway driving. So far my average moving speed is only 19 mph with a top speed of 67 mph. I average about 20 mpg. I have an automatic transmission with the 2.0L engine and use regular gas.

The best part for me is the included mapping system in the dashboard, the many functions on the steering wheel screen and the voice commands to control everything.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the 2L with automatic and really enjoy driving it. I've had it since april and I have 4500 miles on it. My driving is a mix of highway and rural about 30 miles a day. I have been averaging 32mpg. I know you can get better milage with a manual by being in the optimal gear for the driving condition. Automatics don't always do that for you. I have been a manual trans driver for a long time and I enjoy driving but I have to say the auto is pretty nice to drive. You can always bump the shifter over and shift the auto manually. I do that sometime when the tranny hunts or does the double down when not needed. There are some new car bugs that some owners are experiancing but all in all I think it is a great car. Thanks for asking us for our oppinions. I hope we have helped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IF you plan on modding, however; the 1.4L aftermarket far outpaces the 2L. So far, there's just an intake & exhaust, I think for them. (and 2.4 as well, but that's cause they just came out, finally)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely not going to mod it. I was a Chrysler Jeep tech for years, as well as a Ford tech. I appreciate the input. I guess I'll be looking for something with a manual trans, or if I come across a good deal. I drive 40 miles each way to work and 30 miles of that is highway. I need to get around 35 MPG and I hope the Dart will get me there. Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Definitely not going to mod it. I was a Chrysler Jeep tech for years, as well as a Ford tech. I appreciate the input. I guess I'll be looking for something with a manual trans, or if I come across a good deal. I drive 40 miles each way to work and 30 miles of that is highway. I need to get around 35 MPG and I hope the Dart will get me there. Thanks again, guys.
Whichever drive train you pick should be able to do that for you.
The wife's 2.0 auto has a plethora of features and will get 35-39 highway - if you keep it under 75 mph. The manual should be slightly better, but the newer autos don't have much parasitic loss like the old auto trannys did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whichever drive train you pick should be able to do that for you.
The wife's 2.0 auto has a plethora of features and will get 35-39 highway - if you keep it under 75 mph. The manual should be slightly better, but the newer autos don't have much parasitic loss like the old auto trannys did.
Good to hear. When I close on my house I'll be actively shopping around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts