Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well let's just say this "mod weekend" was one of the more challenging, but most rewarding. Started off Thursday Night, things going perfect with getting prepped for installing the @DeyemeRacing FIRM engine mount. Aya jacked up, Front Passenger side off (for better maneuvering for me to get under her), Aero plate off, down-pipe removed (following directions)... then proverbial sh*t hit the fan.

Let's preface this with the following... I'm 31 (when I was little my dad just took the tools away from me and told me he could do it faster), I only started working on cars when I got Aya and dove into her head first. I only ever changed my oil on my '05 Chevy Colorado and that was it. Never modded the Colorado, never did anything but change oil and inflated tires... that's it. So, I don't have a lot of tools and the tools I do have are standard size, and the only metric ones I have are left over from when my in-laws parents still owned the house we live in. So yeah I had a 16mm, 17mm & 19mm socket size... THAT'S IT. So you could tell, my eyes were opened when I tried to figure this whole she-bang out...

With the magic of TV, we'll segue/flashback to make it short and sweet. Took 1 trip to Harbor Freight on Friday and two trips to Lowes this morning, but she is buttoned back up. The trick was 18mm, 15mm & 14mm wrenches/sockets, and for the record, I like Kobalt tools they seem nice, maybe they are expensive (I don't know never shopped for tools before), but I like them.

• Deyeme Firm Rear Mount Installation
So, the big bolt that is an 18mm head, the star bolts are 14mm or 15mm depending on how you look at them. Once I had the proper metric sockets and or wrenches, the install was a breeze. No issues at all. I made sure everything was firmly in place (no pun intended) before I bolted everything back up nice and tight. Main issue for me was just getting the right size metric tools I needed to resolve the issues. No, I have not drove Aya yet to see any crazy teeth shattering vibrations. I did start her up at the end of the show to check for codes, and the start up was normal and didn't really notice too much vibrations. I'm sure I will check back tomorrow on my morning commute.

• AGS Fins back at the bare minimum

Previously:
----- -----
xxxx -----
xxxx -----
----- -----

Now:
xxxx -----
xxxx xxxx
xxxx xxxx
----- xxxx

Back at the bare minimum until we can get test and try the 0 AGS fin mod that has been going around on another forum around the web.

• Oil drain panel removal from the Aero Plate
Pretty straight forward, cheap/free mod to see if that can indeed lower some temps and get some more air flow from the grille through the rest of the engine bay. It will be interesting to see the change of temp with the AGS Fins coupled with the oil drain panel removed from the Aero Plate.

• Road Race 2.0L Spectrum Tune Re-Installed
It's been too damn long since I have had my Spectrum Tune back. Can't wait to see how that interacts with the copper plugs as well as just re-adjusting itself to everything else. I really am happy to get that back on. Funny story about the Spectrum though is I can never get to the MAP sensor that is about 8 inches below and back behind the engine. My arms are too thick to get down there, and as a result my arms are all cut up. Long story short, I text my buddy with his 1.4T, and he was right down the street with his wife and kid at salvation army thrift store... they pull up, 5 minutes later he removed the Map sensor, installed the sensor and off on their day they continued. lol... perfect timing...

But all cannot be sunshine and roses...​
No aux transmission cooler installed yet, since I could not find any fittings and the fittings I ordered from Pep Boys haven't arrived yet. Maybe I'll get that on next weekend. The poor transmission cooler has been staring at me in it's box for months now, and I am upset myself for not able to get the right fittings (or fittings at all). I'm hoping I can come up with a plan to get that one before the winter, if not it will wait and Spring mods will bring Suspension modifications & Temperature Management to Aya.

I do however have some updated transmission temp spreadsheets I will attach:

09-15 to 09-26 (it should be noted that I moved the Injen setup from SRI to CAI on 09/22/2014)
&
09-27 to 09-30 Plus September totals (it should be noted that there was software upgrades & PA State Inspection/Emission on 09/26. Also on 09/27 under-hood insulation was removed)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so happy I got FIRM instead of FLEX

Drove Aya for the first time since the install of the Deyeme Racing Firm mount and the weekend install. The mount is freaking sweet, I couldn't be more happier with my purchase. Granted, I came from a manual '05 Colorado, maybe I'm used vibrations and what not. Either I am used to a vehicle that vibrates, or people are just overly sensitive. The only time I got vibrations was sitting at a stop light with the defrost/heat on, that's it. Other than that, pulling out, you can feel the tires grip more, you can feel the power move towards the wheels. This firm mount makes shifting in an auto smoother (which didn't think was possible)... overall, I really am happy I went with the Firm as opposed to the Flex. I now want to do the other two mounts (ATX & Side) next spring just to get that firm (no pun intended) feeling through out her.

The big thing that I found out though was the removal of the AGS fins/removal of the Oil Drain Panel from the Aero plate really made a big difference. Just this morning, ending temp outside was 57*F... ending trans temp was 162*F. The last time it was 57*F outside when I put her in park at work, the end temp was 189*F. Nothing really changed other than re-break-in of the Spectrum tune, which I need to keep under 4k RPM for 80 miles (I keep under 3.5k RPM). So it might change once the break-in completes, but for it to have a 27 degree drop, that's pretty significant in my book.

Anyway, I will keep you updated on my findings especially tomorrow afternoon/evening since the tune will be broke-in and ready to show off after work on Tuesday for the after work commute...

On a side note, my OBD2 sensor finally shipped from Amazon so I will have it by the end of the week *crossing fingers*... maybe PepBoys will have my transmission fittings as well...

Stay Tuned...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another temp revelation

Currently I am running like this (where x's = removal of AGS fins):
(From the front)
xxxx -----
xxxx xxxx
xxxx xxxx
----- xxxx

Yesterday parked her in the garage after my evening/after work commute, did my normal checking with the trans temp and what not:

Outside Temp: 61*F / Transmission Temp: 173*F

Previously with other AGS fin setup & Oil Drain Panel still on Aero Plate:

Outside Temp: 63*F (closest I could find on evening commute) / Transmission Temp: 191*F

18 degree difference yesterday evening...

Parked Aya this morning afer my morning work commute, did my normal checking with the trans temp and what not:

Outside Temp: 67*F / Transmission Temp: 179*F

Outside Temp: 67*F / Transmission Temp: 197*F

Again, 18 degree difference this morning...

I think we might be on to something...

·
Registered
284 Posts
i cant wait for it to stop raining here so i can finally get some of my mods done as well.

good info. glad to hear your findings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Colder than Hell?!?!? I could never quite understand it...

Outside Temp: 76*F / Transmission Temp: 184*F (10/14/2014 - PM / this was after making two errands for the family)

Outside Temp: 76*F / Transmission Temp: 195*F (08/15/2014 - PM was another day I made two errands for the family)

11 degree difference...

Parked Aya this morning after my morning work commute, did my normal checking with the trans temp and what not:

Outside Temp: 69*F / Transmission Temp: 179*F (10/15/2014 - AM)

Outside Temp: 69*F / Transmission Temp: 188*F (09/02/2014 - AM)

9 degree difference...

This release of the oil drain panel might just be the ticket to help release the hot air that cannot escape. I don't think there is enough of a vacuum to release the heat, this oil drain panel coupled with the AGS fins at a minimum has really opened up the cooling factor of the engine bay. Remember I am basing this off of AM to AM and PM to PM stats, I am not skewing anything (AM to PM / PM to AM). This data is straight from my notebook and my MaxTow Transmission gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts