Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on cutting off my muffler and straight piping my Dart. I ordered an exhaust Y(One inlet and two outlets) and once that comes in is when I plan on cutting the muffler off, I have a general idea of what Im gonna do but i was looking for some tips or advice to make this project go smoother. I stopped by the local pep boys and they have pre bent exhaust piping that I plan on using, a few 90 degree angles and some straight pipe. I dont plan on welding this I just plan on using exhaust clamps. Just looking for any advice or tips. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds like you have a solid idea and some basic automotive knowledge. You're on the right track. I did the same thing, but I welded in the pipe except for where it meets the down pipe I put a flange. As a matter of personal preference I did not do duel tips. I went with a single pipe all the way. It's about 15lbs lighter and the power will equalize better since there's no muffler with baffles in it to help equalize the exhaust gases. It's not going to make really any difference, more of a personal preference.

On a side note, be careful with the exhaust clamps. Make sure you get good ones. At least 2 inches wide. You don't want them to leak. WD40 on the hangers will help get the out of the rubber. You will have to put new exhaust hangers on the tail pipe or it may bang around. Check and see how it's hung now before you remove it and you can buy a clamp on hanger and slide in around to where you need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I wonder if two exits compared to just one pipe would make the sound any different. I found some good exhaust clamps for about 5 bucks a piece and some clamps that come with hangers. I found an adapter that makes the 2" stock pipe to a 2.5" pipe. Ive heard that 2.5" sounds a little deeper but its all in what you like more. Ill probaly do a single pipe for now and If I dont like it I will just add the other side on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I haven't noticed much different in the sound with a single vs duel tip since it's not a true duel exhaust. A lot of people are going with 2.5" exhaust size. I went 3" because that's what I've always done on a turbo car, but I think the 2.5" will sound less raspy and still give you a nice bump in power. Best of luck! Post some pics when you get it done. I love seeing what people do to their Dart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Y pipe that I ordered came in the mail today. Though I won't be cutting the exhaust untill Tuesday when I can use my friends sawsall haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts