Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sure this has come up a few times but Ile ask anyways because I can't find it what is a good cold air intake for this motor that won't break the bank but truly works?

·
Registered
43 Posts
intake air temps

Unless you have a tune, any CAI is only gonna give ya a couple hp tops, the gain is in the sound, removing the stock airbox is mostly to create a better sound from the engine, and to hear boost blowoff. The ECU on the Dart really clamps down on any gains you may think your bolting on, and if the ECU is in control of the fuel, the timing and the boost, then simply adding airflow isn't gonna make more power, in fact, sometimes it can be a big detriment to a car like this because you actually causing a lean burn afr situation that can potentially be long term damaging to your engine (think burning a hole in a piston). With that said, I run a K&N Typhoon on my 1.4. I like the sound of it, but its an open filter exposed to the heat from the engine. I also have my downpipe, turbo and b pipe wrapped in Thermo-tec header wrap, then I also have placed around all that an aluminumized Thermo-tec heat barrier wrap to deal with underhood temps increasing the air intake temps. I also have the MPx intercooler pipes, and they are also Thermo-tec wrapped to keep heat sink to a minimum. I get some gains from all that, but how much exactly (I'd guess maybe 5 hp) I cannot truly say. I do know for sure that my underhood temps are about 40 degrees lower in the area near the K&N filter since I've done all the wrap. And as a general rule, every 10 degree lower the air intake temp is approx. 1% hp gain....but that general rule also doesn't apply much on a computer controlled car with such a stingy and unforgiving ECU as the Dart. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda knew with the computer it wasn't gonna add much hp for me but I wanted to get the air intake and exhaust out of the way and then tune because from what I've found there are no such thing as programes or chips for these motors so I have to then find someone to tune my computer

·
Registered
43 Posts
HPSI and Modern Performance both have hand helds in the works. In fact, I've spoken with the guys at HPSI recently, they claim that the hand held that they are getting set to release is done except for figuring out the tune for the automatic guys, the manual as well as the DDCT works flawlessly with their new tune in beta testing currently. I'm a stick guy so that's exciting news. I have a Unichip on mine, and it gives impressive power gains, 48 hp in fact. But I may be tempted to try the HPSI tune once its out if the gains are higher, but I know the price is likely gonna be around $800 because the Eurocompulsion tunes for the Abarths that they released already is in that price range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts