Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! im really excited to join and talk to a bunch of fellow dart owners. ive had my 65 dodge dart slant 6, 225. Ive been slowly working on here till the last 6 months and then ive REALLY been working on her. Ive saved money to dump into this car. But it just seems to be one problem after another. But I love this car and i want to keep it. Id really appreciate some advice from fellow owners.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome from the PNW aka WA. Thanks for joining us. Most of the folks on this forum are owners of the new darts. But i'm sure there are some with the original darts too. What kind of advice are you looking for? My advice would be 1) Don't sell it. 2) Keep working on it. 3) Post a pic of it for us. The original darts are cool!

Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HEY sorry it took me so long to get back. i dont have a computer and my smart phone isnt so smart...soooo anyways i have returned with photos!!! So basically Ive had this car for 6 years. But didnt work on it at all until the last 6 months and then i started actually working on it. Ive been learning from a couple different people and alot on my own since i have the the book for that year darts and Plymouths. my carburetor is busted. tomorrow ill take more in depth photos of my problems. but right now my biggest issue is the idle...i think...lol the car wont stay running for more than a second. which it has been running for awhile so this is a very new development. i actually drive this car on a daily basis. until yesterday evening...i dont know how to get the idle just right.. If i havent mentioned this is my first car and i dont know anything lol im learning as i go. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO SELL THIS CAR EVER! lol She is my baby...

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
I love the look of the earlier Darts. The later square ones not so much.
You say it was running but now it won't idle for more than a second? Does it still run if you hold the RPM up a little, but dies when you try to let it idle? If it at least runs, you can probably rule out fuel pump and filter but clean fuel filter is always good. If by turning up the idle keeps it running then you could have crud or something blocking the idle jet/circuit in your carb. If it doesn't run at all anymore, maybe your fuel pump?
I'm not a carbologist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the look of the earlier Darts. The later square ones not so much.
You say it was running but now it won't idle for more than a second? Does it still run if you hold the RPM up a little, but dies when you try to let it idle? If it at least runs, you can probably rule out fuel pump and filter but clean fuel filter is always good. If by turning up the idle keeps it running then you could have crud or something blocking the idle jet/circuit in your carb. If it doesn't run at all anymore, maybe your fuel pump?
I'm not a carbologist.
Well my fuel pump is fine because when i disconnect the fuel filter and try to start the car the fuel comes shooting out of the line so its getting good pressure. and also my fuel filter is brand new and its clear so i can see inside and see if its clogged or full of crud. as for the carb thats most likely my problem in there somewhere. probably what you were talking about with the idle jet. yeah when i play with the idle i can get her running but no longer than idk like 6-8 blocks and then she starts to sputter and as soon as i slow down or come to a stop she dies completely.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Check the choke pull-off valve on the side of the carb. I had a 1973 Dart in 1979. It had a Holly one barrel carb. I had the same problem, I put six rebuilt carbs on it, until I finally took it to a mechanic, he diagnosed it in 5 mins, it was a $6 part back then, and the holly one barrel rebuilt cost $35 lol. Also check the dry felt gasket at the base of the carb, and make sure the two nuts are tight

·
Registered
768 Posts
Check the choke pull-off valve on the side of the carb. I had a 1973 Dart in 1979. It had a Holly one barrel carb. I had the same problem, I put six rebuilt carbs on it, until I finally took it to a mechanic, he diagnosed it in 5 mins, it was a $6 part back then, and the holly one barrel rebuilt cost $35 lol. Also check the dry felt gasket at the base of the carb, and make sure the two nuts are tight
Thanks for jumpin in Dennis. Sounds like you have the experience with the older Dart. My sister had one of the early 70s Darts. Hope this helps get the old Dart back on the road.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Yes I do have nostalgic experience, I bought my 1973 Dart from a Dodge dealer for $1500, for my wife to use, it was in showroom shape with 70,000 miles on the clock. It was a buff gold, with matching leather interior. I had her until 1983 when I sold her for $2600. to get a deposit for a 1983 brand new Dodge Colt, for my young wife and my 6 year old son. (he is 37 now). The Colt was good, but I should have kept the Dart. My neighbor at the time had all the tech manuals so I did a lot of repairs myself. I also found out that the timing chain seldom if ever breaks or goes bad in a 225 slant 6 engine, the timing gear wears and makes the chain get sloppy, if you replace the gear and put her back into time, she will run great! Carb and Timing gear are the two biggest problems I ever had and both were cheap to fix, at the time. You may also want to check the Black Box electronic ignition module on the firewall under the windshield, under the hood, in or near the middle of the vehicle, if that's starting to go bad, the car will run rough, stall or crap out completely on you. That module used to be $12 and its mounted to the firewall under the hood with two 3/8 bolts and connected to the ignition via a pronged plug, takes 5 mins to replace. I told my wife I talked to you about our old Dart on here, and she said "I loved that car", but I kept telling you a wanted a new car and you listened to me. lol. We are both 60 now, 30 then, I bet she wishes I still listened to her as well as I did then, LOL and LMAO. Good luck, feel free to ask me anything else, If I can help, I'll be glad to. I now have a 2013 Black Dart SE, I purchased new in February of 2013. If you read my other posts, you will see I've had several nuisance problems, after a lot of griping at the dealer and help from the guys on here, I think I got her right, at least for the time being, lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your advice! i know for sure the choke pull off valve linkage is broken and doesnt move anymore, so i took a picture! i was told to wire it down so that the choke doesnt close all the way anymore which i didnt do yet... its definetly a half assed fix. but i cant find a half way decent carb anywhere...i purchased one of Ebay that turned out to be for the wrong model 65. and i purchased one from Autozone that turned out to be pitted and wore out with a hole drilled in the side like the ones for the later year darts. so in submassion IDK what to do and thats kinda why i came to this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I do have nostalgic experience, I bought my 1973 Dart from a Dodge dealer for $1500, for my wife to use, it was in showroom shape with 70,000 miles on the clock. It was a buff gold, with matching leather interior. I had her until 1983 when I sold her for $2600. to get a deposit for a 1983 brand new Dodge Colt, for my young wife and my 6 year old son. (he is 37 now). The Colt was good, but I should have kept the Dart. My neighbor at the time had all the tech manuals so I did a lot of repairs myself. I also found out that the timing chain seldom if ever breaks or goes bad in a 225 slant 6 engine, the timing gear wears and makes the chain get sloppy, if you replace the gear and put her back into time, she will run great! Carb and Timing gear are the two biggest problems I ever had and both were cheap to fix, at the time. You may also want to check the Black Box electronic ignition module on the firewall under the windshield, under the hood, in or near the middle of the vehicle, if that's starting to go bad, the car will run rough, stall or crap out completely on you. That module used to be $12 and its mounted to the firewall under the hood with two 3/8 bolts and connected to the ignition via a pronged plug, takes 5 mins to replace. I told my wife I talked to you about our old Dart on here, and she said "I loved that car", but I kept telling you a wanted a new car and you listened to me. lol. We are both 60 now, 30 then, I bet she wishes I still listened to her as well as I did then, LOL and LMAO. Good luck, feel free to ask me anything else, If I can help, I'll be glad to. I now have a 2013 Black Dart SE, I purchased new in February of 2013. If you read my other posts, you will see I've had several nuisance problems, after a lot of griping at the dealer and help from the guys on here, I think I got her right, at least for the time being, lol
Also thank you for all your input. ive changed out alot of the little pieces and the big ones like the voltage regulator and the ballist resistor all the fluids the alternator the battery the spark plugs and all the spark plug wires the condensor and the points inside the distributor. a few other things too that i cant think of right now.

·
Banned
106 Posts
The choke pull off is a separate part of the carburetor. I would think about installing a manual choke under the dash instead of a half assed fix by wiring it shut. You may have to order a choke pull off from Chrysler

·
Banned
106 Posts
I would go to a Dodge dealer's parts counter and try to order what you need, if your car is a 1965 Dodge Dart that's what I would order parts for. Sure its more expensive in the beginning but way more cost effective in the long run and your vehicle will run better too. Genuine parts are always best

1 - 16 of 16 Posts