Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if buying the lightweight pulley was worth the $200. Already have cai, hot/cold pipes, 3" exhaust

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Dont know about spending $200 on it, but as far as the overall pros/cons to having it less rotating mass on the crank is always better.. it will be a huge difference it the way your car will accelerate, i have a lightweight crank pulley on my vr4 3kgt and the turbos spool so much faster than with the old one.. in my opinion i would get it when it went on sale or until a few more options were available.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It will provide a noticable increase in acceleration, but I cannot say it's worth the $200. Maybe wait a few months and see if it comes down any. First run parts always cost more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What first?

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, tuners, and I bought my Dart yesterday. I have been living online since I got home with it. Zidle has everything on his car that I want (Down to the brands). My question is, what is the first change I should do. I assume CAI. I have the 1.4 turbo 6 speed. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
173 Posts
First change I always recommend is get rid of that crappy stock intercooler piping. It's cheap and will reduce the turbo lag and that stutter step that the turbo darts seem prone to having. Once that's done start moving more air with an intake and exhaust. The intake and intercooler piping should cost less than $500 and is easy enough to install yourself. There are some decent exhaust systems on the market, but I had a custom exhaust built. It was cheaper and I love the sound way more than anything that's on the market, but I like loud an annoying. haha. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmm mine went away completely and that's all I've done to my Dart so far....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Roadracemotorsports.com
Sir their pulley is only 160 and i have had some great experiences with them. i had an 02 lancer and an 08 lancer with no problems from their parts. im glad they are still helping out witht he new darts. they have several parts already available for the dart too. just go somewhere else for the magnaflows,lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Road Race is a great company. They are smart and easy to deal with. They helped me with my 91 GSX eclipse.

·
Registered
173 Posts
^ that's partially true. With the current BOVs on the market for the Dart I agree, but companies like GReddy, HKS, Blitz have adjustable BOVs for different levels of boost, so those do do something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alternator output

Anyone combined the underdrive pulley with a heavy hitting system (1200 watts RMS)? I want to throw it in, but afraid of putting too much pull on the alternator during under heavy load

·
Registered
40 Posts
That $160 price is for the pulley for the 2.0 and 2.4 engines.
The pulley for the 1.4 is $239. This is the Road Race Lightweight pulley.
I installed this pulley on mine and now the engine/trans just act like a completely different set-up. I do have the 1.4 with the DDCT. I also have torks hot/cold pipes and an Injen CAI. The lag is now completely gone. And, for city stop & go driving, I can get the tranny to shift now below 2500 rpm, in auto mode. Top end acceleration is greatly improved also. The weight difference between stock and the lightweight is less than half as compared to the OEM pulley. RRM's is @ 1.67 lbs while OEM is @ 3.5 lbs. And, if you have the CAI already, you can replace the pulley with the car on the ground and do it from above. It takes about 15 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Roadracemotorsports.com
Sir their pulley is only 160 and i have had some great experiences with them. i had an 02 lancer and an 08 lancer with no problems from their parts. im glad they are still helping out witht he new darts. they have several parts already available for the dart too. just go somewhere else for the magnaflows,lol.
Hey dude, this is a 1.4 turbo thread. The roadrace pulley for the turbo is $239.
I have one. If there is one mod that you should do before any other, do this one. It is worth every penny.

·
ProFRESHional
210 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, tuners, and I bought my Dart yesterday. I have been living online since I got home with it. Zidle has everything on his car that I want (Down to the brands). My question is, what is the first change I should do. I assume CAI. I have the 1.4 turbo 6 speed. Thanks for any advise.
First off welcome to the Z! Second, I would do IC Piping, exhaust, and CAI. It'll run you around 1500 or so based on what exhaust you choose (I got the magna flow for $900 when it first came out and absolutely love it)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before you go wasting your money on a piggy back tuner, go with a light weight pulley and then check your pre load adjustment on the wastegate solenoid arm. We, on the **************** forum have been finding that the factory has not been adjusting these rods properly. The majority of us have found the rod adjusted to 0.0-3 mm when it should be set to 4-6 mm. Newer or second generation turbos are adjusted to 8-10 mm. Some of those have also been noted to be not adjusted properly. This has been found to be a primary cause for the low boost problems that the 1.4 has been experiencing. The CEL code P0299. Both of these mods completely eliminate the throttle lag for the manual and the DDCT transmissions. You will notice a more stable boost at lower rpm's and a lot of that fluttering noise will go away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts