Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the oil change service interval is? The manual is pretty unclear. It says when the change oil light comes on its time to change your oil. So i'm suppose to drive around waiting for the light and then try to schedule service that fits my life? Not even an aproximation like between 4k and 6k depending on driving conditions?:confused:

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
Looks like it has the oil condition monitor. I personally would not go more than 5 or 6k. My first change would be less than 3k (some do even less).

·
Registered
36 Posts
my buddies came on at 7700 miles and i have 7068 on mine and hasent came on yet. I have a charger daytona and i only change it when it tells me..usually 6500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It all depends on a number of factors. City driving it will come on sooner than highway driving. Myself I keep an eye on my oil and when it starts to look dirty I change it. I'm at 9k and changed it 3times already.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I feel like I screwed myself. The dealer threw a bone to sweaten the pot on my deal by throwing in all services for life of the car. I thought what the hell I don't have to do it. I have enough stuff that I work on and one less thing to worry about made sence at the time. I usually do oil every 5K max on my cars. I guess if the oil light says change it every 7K or 8K and the engine fries then its on them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The wife's limited has the full digital dash & 8" screen, and while it does display the oil temp, I haven't seen an oil monitor screen.

every 6k miles with full synthetic oil and a quality filter should be plenty, assuming drive far enough to get the engine up to operating temp (to burn off moisture).
the oil change on the Dart is extremely simple, 2 little doors underneat to open will give you access to the filter & drain plug. Much better than my Challenger, I have to remove a big plastic plate just to access the underside of the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I drive about 1,000 miles per year. The manual says to change the oil when the message displays. All recorded messages are stored in the EIC and can be reset after proper attention. The manual also says to change oil at least once per year even if the message does not appear. I have the 8.4" dashboard map and the EIC screen on the steering wheel.

So far I have the car 4 months and am up to 379 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just hit 8500 with no oil change message yet. Most of it highway as I took a driving vacation and put 7100 on her. I think my 12 Ram came on for the first time around 8800 so we shall see what happens with the Dart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 1.4 Turbo calls for synthetic, I change mine between 5 and 7 thousand miles unless the light comes on earlier, which it hasn't. I would change it at least twice a year regardless of the miles because of the condensation that can build up when the vehicle is not driven much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just turned over to 6,600 today and no light. Had it for almost a year! I think at 7K I'll have hubby change the oil.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took it in at 5500, the first one was on the dealer and since I have a service contract the service lead said I should bring it in every 4K to 5K regardless of the light. He said they reset the interval clock and he showed me how to reset it if it comes on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I took it in at 5500, the first one was on the dealer and since I have a service contract the service lead said I should bring it in every 4K to 5K regardless of the light. He said they reset the interval clock and he showed me how to reset it if it comes on.
if you are running full synthetic oil that's a little too frequent.
If you are running conventional oil then that's about right.
Depends on driving conditions too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Finally had the light come on to change the oil at 6,800 miles. I went to Valvoline and they put in 5 quarts of Valvoline 0W20 SynPower Synthetic Oil. She's running great as usual. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here is the procedure after you change the oil in case anyone needs it:
http://oilresetpro.com/how-to-reset-oil-light-on-dodge-dart/

They also have a free mobile app that has the reset procedures for every vehicle in it. It is really helpful if you are technician doing oil changes all day to have them all at your finger tips. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks! My dash has been telling me that an oil change is due and I plan on doing it this weekend. Didn't know if I would have time to swing into the dealership to have them reset it. Does anyone know if the Oil Change Due monitoring thing automatically resets if you've changed the oil in the past? I have 18k miles on mine and I've done a couple oil changes, but this is the first time I've ever seen this message.

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
Thanks! My dash has been telling me that an oil change is due and I plan on doing it this weekend. Didn't know if I would have time to swing into the dealership to have them reset it. Does anyone know if the Oil Change Due monitoring thing automatically resets if you've changed the oil in the past? I have 18k miles on mine and I've done a couple oil changes, but this is the first time I've ever seen this message.
Not sure but I bet it does not reset unless you follow the procedure.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure but I bet it does not reset unless you follow the procedure.
Is it smart or a stupid system? Some of them are based on your driving conditions or other inputs and not mileage? It could be that the system didnt feel it was time for an oil change until now? I have heard that some systems base oil change on set driving conditions.

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
I'm not sure. I know that some systems will alert you when they need changing based on certain conditions being met but I think you still have to perform the reset with those.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure. I know that some systems will alert you when they need changing based on certain conditions being met but I think you still have to perform the reset with those.
I was just thinking that maybe those conditions hadn't been met as he has changed his oil a couple times. Maybe one of those conditions finally clicked?

I don't know, Just tossing out a thought.

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
Could be but I would have thought it would have clicked when the max mileage was hit. Just don't know enough about how these things work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts