Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 GT and I seem to be going thru a quart of oil every 2000 miles.
There don't seem to be any leaks, and I don't see any smoke out the back so I don't think I'm burning it.
Taken it to the dealer and they replaced the PCV valve and are doing consumption records, so I bring it in every 1K miles to see how much it has gone down.
Just checking to see if anyone else is having the same problem?
Is this normal? I would think that any car going thru this much oil in such a short distance has something majorly wrong.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just bought my Dart, so I haven't had a chance to see what the oil consumption looks like.

I would agree that it doesn't sound like everything is working the way it should. It's good that the dealer is trying to work with you. I would stay on them, and perhaps contact Chrysler and get them to open a ticket as well.

If the dealer can't get you fixed up, it might be worth your effort to investigate the lemon laws in your state.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I thinkI have the Same issue .I have a 13 rallye with 2,0 and it seems to loose oil about a 1 qt per 3k miles..they say we can go 8k for every oil change but IMA stick to 5k.I don't trust any filter to go up that long..I'm a tech and I see how all kind of car do on. Oil changes and 8k is just to long

·
Registered
284 Posts
what miles are you at? new engines do absorb oil into the material(im sur enot a qt) also when you get the oil change last, did they put 5 qt or 5.5qt? my GT takes 5.5 QT and stays roughly around the 5QT lvl when i get the changes. with this super thin oil it does burn quickly as well. make sure to get your oil change every 5 to 7K miles. please never listen to the 10K miles crap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am also interested in what they found wrong.
Our 2.0 doesn't use any oil between changes, which are every 6k miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Consumption....

2013 Dodge Dart Limited, Turbo 1.4, Stick. Now as 52,000 miles.
Oil consumption from early on, was shocked when to Low Oil Pressure Light came on. Spark plug problem also. I was told they should last 100.000 miles but the OM says they should be changed every 30,000 miles. Strange! Never had to change Spark Plugs so soon on any car.
Anyway, at 41,000 miles spark plug failed driving on Route 80 in Ohio.

This week, check engine light on, oil on air filter. Finally took it to a Dodge Dealer because I suspected a serious engine problem that should be covered by the 100,000 warranty.
They made an adjustment as per a 'flash' notice, changed the oil and said the 'check engine ' light was a result of the low oil situation.
Dealership now doing the 1,000 mile routine, bring it in & lets check oil consumption.
As I was leaving, I was told the spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles, regardless of the OM specs. What ?
Also, after 50,000 miles these engines will consume a quart of oil every 700 miles. 0W40 or 5W40 synthetic is very thin oil. What ?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sorry to here your troubles. Hope they figure it out for you. The dealer told you that the engine would burn a quart every 700 miles? That doesn't sound right. No engine should burn oil like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oil consumption with no puddling means it has to be burning it..also small turbo engines are suffering hairline cracks in block cause they can't handle stress and temps.this is what happened to my cruse..only other possibility I can think of is if its losing oil at temp and speed cause something is loose under there and allowing oil to seep while driving.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oil consumption with no puddling means it has to be burning it..also small turbo engines are suffering hairline cracks in block cause they can't handle stress and temps.this is what happened to my cruse..only other possibility I can think of is if its losing oil at temp and speed cause something is loose under there and allowing oil to seep while driving.
if it was seeping out while driving the belly pan would be nasty, and there would be spots on the back of the car around the low pressure area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 2014 dart gt. Having the same issue. Mine started out as the engine kept dying stopping & going around corners. Took it to the local dodge dealer & it was 4 qts low 5000 miles after oil change. They did an oil change 2000 miles ago & I'm a qt low already. Not noticing any leakage on the garage floor. Going to do a consumption test

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014 Dodge Dart Limited

My Dart has 41700 miles on it and is using excessive oil. Took it into the dealership and they did a free oil change and put me on an oil monitoring program. I have to bring my Dart back after 1000 miles to have the level checked. They also said that it is considered normal for their cars to consume 1 qt of oil for every 2000 miles with less than 50k miles on the odometer. Over 50k miles and it is considered acceptable to consume 1 qt every 750 miles. My car has also stalled without any warning on three occasions shortly after first start and immediately after making a turn. Oil was low and there was no warning indicator even after the stall. This could cause an accident if someone is on my tail and not paying attention.

I am 50 years old and have owned the following vehicles:

1967 Chevy C-10 (straight 6)
1953 Chevy (straight six without the oil filter option)
1953 Ford F100 (straight 6)
1972 Ford Van (V8)
1984 Chevy C-10 (straight 6)
1982 Ford Tempo (4 cylinder)
1986 Nissan Maxima (V6)
1994 Ford Ranger (V6)
2003 Kia Sedona (V6)
2009 Dodge Avenger (4 cylinder)
2012 Ford Escape (V6)
2014 Dodge Dart (4 cylinder)

All of the above vehicles were all original mechanically and the Dart is the only one that consumed oil at an excessive level. I did not have add oil between oil changes, even with the extended oil change intervals on the newer vehicles. So how is it that it is now we are now expected to believe 1 qt every 2k miles is acceptable? The new engines are built to tighter tolerances, so shouldn't the opposite be the case?:confused::(

My car is serviced by the dealership where I purchased my car only and I have been happy with the service received. So far the dealership seems to be trying to help and we will see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
oil consumption

have a 2015 dart,sxt 25k miles,w/2.4. been using oil. contacted dealer, kind enough to offer free oil change, put me on consumption analyses. been 2000 miles since oil change,down 1 1/2 quarts of oil. not leaking , no puddles of oil,no leaks . when dealer was asked about oil consumption , was told not uncommon to use 1 qt oil every 1,000 miles. have had many cars in my time, never heard of such a thing, use/lose 1 qt for each 1,000 miles. according to dodge ,this is acceptable .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts