Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1.4 turbo and wondering about what brand oil people are using for the synthetic 5W-40 and also oil filter. Concerning the filter is it screw on or canister?

Larry J - 2013 Aero 1.4 DDCT

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been using Royal Purple with a Wix filter. No complaints.

·
Banned
106 Posts
5w-40 is not synthetic, it would be 0w-40, all 100% synthetic oils are 0-w. As far as I know you can only use full synthetic oil in the Dart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
5w-40 is not synthetic, it would be 0w-40, all 100% synthetic oils are 0-w. As far as I know you can only use full synthetic oil in the Dart.
You're mistaken. There is no such "rule". It may be that most synthetics are 0w40, but I wouldn't make that claim as I don't know.

I do know that Amsoil makes a 5w40 full synthetic and I use it in both my 6.1L SRT8 and my 1.4L Dart. Personally, I like Amsoil the best, but from what I've read in oil analysis data (bobistheoilguy.com) Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are both excellent, too. Amsoil makes the best oil filter that I've found, so far. If I could find a better one, I would use it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 1.4 turbo and wondering about what brand oil people are using for the synthetic 5W-40 and also oil filter. Concerning the filter is it screw on or canister?

Larry J - 2013 Aero 1.4 DDCT

Hi Larry. I use Amsoil Oil and Filters in all my vehicles. (Dart, 5.7L Hemi Car, 6.1L Hemi and 5.7L Hemi Truck.) I've had oil analysis done through BlackStoneLabs and am very happy with the results. For me, Amsoil makes the best oil and filters.

According to BobIstheOilGuy.com data (you can check out yourself and form your own opinion) I find that Mobil 1, Amsoil and Royal Purple are all VERY excellent choices. I have to agree with the first reply you got, that eBay or Amazon is a great place to look for the Wix filters. I got a better deal by buying 6 at once.

Oil is like religion, so I'm sure people will chime in with what oil-kool-aid they drink, but I tried to base my opinion on what I could find out about all the different oils and the data shows those three as being the best in the business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts