Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone post some pics of the process or help me out. I'm looking to plasti dip my wheels. Did you take your wheels off your car or leave them on? Did you just spray it onto the wheel and tire or did you tape off your tire? How many coats for each wheel? Any guidice with this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing some research and searching previous post I think I am going to remove the wheels from the vehicle and tape off the tire before I spray. Not sure how many coats or color Im going to do yet but I'll be sure to take pictures along the way and post when I am done.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Buy 4 cans of dip for the rims. Remove the tire, and tape off the entire face of the tire. Unless u put heavy overspray on it to peel it off. I put like 5 coats on eqch tire with 1 coat clear. That makes sure i can peel the rim off in 1 shot. U dont want to put not enough dip on otherwize ull br peeling for hours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks. Now I just need to find the time to do it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There is a good website www.dipyourcar.com They have all the products and color choices and a bunch of videos on how to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanted to post this as i was pretty curious about plastidip myself.. after reading quite a bit online about other projects i decided to do the stock wheels on my Header Orange Rallye. i dont have a lift or anything so i just used a jack and pulled off one tire at a time. basically it is all about the prep work i had gave them all a good pressure wash prior to removal. used a microfibre cloth soaked in ISO (99% Alcohol available at drug stores) gave it a good cleaning twice over to remove any contaminants or debris front and back no taping off Except i put a circular piece of paper over the contact point on the back side of the rim to avoid having plastidip in between the wheel and mount not sure if that would do any harm but i wanted to avoid it. 8 coats matte black on the front and 6 coats Orange in the back. just spray.. nice even sweeping motions you can see the orange overspray i did not care to avoid as i rather like the look it gave.
It lasted 3 summer months and 2 winter months before starting to peel. im assuming it was because of road debris i.e sanding and whatnot for the winter here in canada that or the cold but as a rubber spray on you cant expect it to be permanent anyway. i was still impressed how long it lasted.. held up to all pressure washes and wheel cleaners. noticed nobody else really cared to explain the process in a simple way so there it is.
also note the orange in the back faded away rather quickly after a month or so as in the back of the stock wheel it has a rough texture to it and did not hold well but it looked damn good for a while. many compliments and even people at the dealership gave praise to the two tone idea not that their opinions matter but it did look good and they see all the handy work of others on a daily basis. i was the first here apparently. i think that covers it. any questions feel free to ask.
Also you can see the over spray on the rubber, not the best picture but you can rub it off with your finger if bothers you. wont affect the dip on the rim itself and if you over spray thick enough you can just peel it away and it will separate at the seams by itself. i did not bother with either as they are just stock wheels and will be replaced eventually anyway.. Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts