Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT a couple months ago and I have not been getting near the gas mileage I expected or what is advertised for the Dart, even with all my efforts to drive like my grandmother. It has the standard 2.0L engine with an automatic transmission. I also installed cruise control to help in maintaining constant speed. I purchased my Dart certified pre-owned with 16,000 miles on it. It now has 19,000 miles.

Recently we went on a 2,000 mile road trip over the space of 4 days. 99% of the drive was highway miles cruising at about 65 mph. I kept track of the miles we drove and the fuel we put in, and at the end we averaged 31 mpg. That's decent fuel economy, but still 5 mpg short of what the Dart is rated for, which over 2,000 miles makes a large difference.

What is more difficult to look past though is the mileage we have gotten more recently. We drive the vehicle to work and back most days which is about 20 miles away. So on a normal week about 80% of our driving is highway miles cruising about 55-60 mph. The average for the past few tanks of gas has been 25.5 mpg, 5.5 mpg lower than the Dart's rated combined fuel economy.

It gets really low when I used one tank almost completely for city driving, getting only 20 mpg.

A friend of mine drove his Dart SE (2.0L, manual transmission) on a 500 mile round trip doing 90% highway miles at 60mph and got 38.8 mpg, then got 28 mpg in city driving, so I know the Dart is capable of achieving great fuel economy.

Any clue what could be going on with my Dart to be getting this low fuel economy? Any ideas or comments are welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
bad gas mileage

just an idea but make shure the tires are filled with n2 it can play a small part in gas mileage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
check the normal tune up items - air filter, plugs, etc.
The tires being under-inflated could cause a slight drop but you would get a warning light (or see it on the TFT display if equipped).

The wife's 2.0 limited auto trans gets 29-30 city and 36-39 highway average, that's with her and both the kids loaded.
Has less than 6000 miles on the odo so far tho, i expect it to get a little better as the engine loosens up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't be alarmed. Manufacturer tests are done on open highways without traffic at 70 mph.

My average speed is only 18 mph in my second fuel cycle and my top speed was 44 mph. The car is showing I am getting a moving 19.5 mpg. I only have 291 miles on my odometer. At the end of my first fuel cycle the car showed moving 17.5 mpg and calculated (actual gallons used) of 14.3 mpg. Remember, stationery mpg is ALWAYS ZERO and is not reflected in the car calculation of moving mpg.

My odometer only shows 291 miles. Once one clears 1,000 miles fuel economy should improve markedly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use an app to keep track of my mileage, it's great when we go on trips! I had crappy gas mileage until we went on a trip for a funeral. Then, all of a sudden I get 38 MPG! Since I passed the 5,000 mile mark, I've been getting better gas mileage even just around town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
poor mileage

Hey, try running a couple of tanks of premium they accept regular unleaded but get better mpg with the good stuff. Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
might be the cruise, but the new autos have very little parasitic loss...just a little more weight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't worry about mpg. Remember, if you do lots of activities in the car with the motor running white stationery, the mpg during those periods is zero. The car only shows moving mpg and does not average in the stationery zero mpg. Even the trip miles may vary from the odometer miles a small amount.

I have the 2.0L engine and automatic transmission. I've owned the 2013 Dart for 4 months and average 19 mph with a high of 67 mph. My last fuel cycle showed the car mpg as 20.4 and the calculated mpg as 16.6. My old 2002 Dodge Neon averaged 16 mpg. I still only have 379 miles showing on my odometer for the 2013 Dart. The prior fuel cycle showed a moving mpg measured by the car as 17.5 and the calculated mpg as 14.3. Thus, it is improving on the latest fuel cycle compared to the prior one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wouldn't worry about mpg. Remember, if you do lots of activities in the car with the motor running white stationery, the mpg during those periods is zero. The car only shows moving mpg and does not average in the stationery zero mpg. Even the trip miles may vary from the odometer miles a small amount.

I have the 2.0L engine and automatic transmission. I've owned the 2013 Dart for 4 months and average 19 mph with a high of 67 mph. My last fuel cycle showed the car mpg as 20.4 and the calculated mpg as 16.6. My old 2002 Dodge Neon averaged 16 mpg. I still only have 379 miles showing on my odometer for the 2013 Dart. The prior fuel cycle showed a moving mpg measured by the car as 17.5 and the calculated mpg as 14.3. Thus, it is improving on the latest fuel cycle compared to the prior one.
it should improve considerably once you get a few thousand miles on the engine (don't forget to do the 1000 mile oil change).
We have never done the calculated method, but we don't usually have the car idling much so I go by the display.
On the highway anything above 75 and the mileage drops down to the low 30s. If not in a hurry, 60-65 is usually right around 38 on flat ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Dodge Dart SXT (2.0L, automatic transmission) now has almost 30,000 miles on it. We are still only getting 29-30 mpg on the highway doing 55-60mph. The only thing that I can think of is we have the 17 inch rims with 225/45R17 tires, instead of the 16 inch rims and tires that come stock on most Darts. Could that make such a big difference that it would cause us to get 29-30mpg instead of the advertised 36 mpg?

Also, I took it to the dealership and told them about the mileage. However, they brushed off everything I said and didn't look into it, just blamed it on my "lead foot." But like I said earlier, I drive the car like a grandma would, so I find it hard to believe that I could drive more conservatively enough to give me another 6-7mpg.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My Dodge Dart SXT (2.0L, automatic transmission) now has almost 30,000 miles on it. We are still only getting 29-30 mpg on the highway doing 55-60mph. The only thing that I can think of is we have the 17 inch rims with 225/45R17 tires, instead of the 16 inch rims and tires that come stock on most Darts. Could that make such a big difference that it would cause us to get 29-30mpg instead of the advertised 36 mpg?

Also, I took it to the dealership and told them about the mileage. However, they brushed off everything I said and didn't look into it, just blamed it on my "lead foot." But like I said earlier, I drive the car like a grandma would, so I find it hard to believe that I could drive more conservatively enough to give me another 6-7mpg.
I'm getting the same displayed as you. When I do the math (Miles/Gallons) I find I am only really getting 26mpg average. 16 or 17 inch wheels shouldn't make a difference as the tire cercumference is the same. 16 inch wheel has a taller profile. I keep my tires properly inflated. I do run the crappy cheap 87 octane that has 10% ethanol this time of year. I don't see how anyone can be getting 36-38mpg. Even when I highway drove a tank and the display showed 35mpg I did the math and found I really got 31mpg on that tank.

·
Registered
284 Posts
when the car is stationary the RMPs are still measured and calculated into the mpg. the vehicle is still using fuel even while idle so your average will go down depending ont he time sitting. i can sit at a red light and watch my mpg average go down.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just finished a trip to Austin & back. Some city, mostly highway speed at 70-80mph average fuel mileage was 35.4
If I had kept it below 70 it would have been a few mpg higher.
All city driving today showed 31 mpg, lots of stop & go tho.
Above figures were with 4 adults.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Got a new high score of 38 mpg on the last trip to San Antonio & back.
Would have been better but there were 4 of us in the car and we were running 70-80 mph, 5 over whatever was posted.
Interstate hovered around 40 mpg, stop & go in the city and rising ambient temps dropped the average down.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Come on now. Should be a rule that any dash pictures be taken with a minimum speed of 60 displayed!:D Said jokingly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well for one thing don't believe the dash computer , do your own math. The on board computer is really generous with the mileage...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts