Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to a shop and had my resonator removed. hoping i would hear a noticeable difference in exhaust sound. paid 100$ to remove it and install a stainless steel pipe in its place.

it sounds exactly the same.. its not louder at all. i heard it was suposto give you like 20% gain in noise and give a deeper louder growl. so that was wasted money..

so i guess the next step is to get a magnaflow muffler?? since mufflers are required on cars.

what would you recommend??

·
Registered
173 Posts
I removed the resonator and muffler. I'm running straight pipe from the down pipe all the way back. I'm not sure where you live, but mufflers are not required if the decibel level is under a certain number, and with a turbo car they almost always are.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a muffler is not only for decible level. it is also for emmesions. from my understanding every car MUST have a muffler.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think the catylitic convertor handles the emissions. But the muffler is part of that system and would be required to pass a physical inspection of the system. Wa state likes to pull that on you if there is a question on whether you have modified it or not. If they finf it modified they deny you tabs until it is restored and inspected. What does the resonator do? Is it just a baffle or pre-muffler in the exhaust system?

·
Registered
768 Posts
That sucks you didn't get the effect you were looking for. Hope you can find a combination that gets you to that elusive tone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There are no emission tests in my state lucky me, the muffler does not affect emissions anyway. It does what it's name implies, muffles the sound coming from the engine. The catalytic converters help control the emissions. Depending on where you have the car tested they may or may not care if it has a muffler. The DOT guidelines state that if the decibel level of the car is above a certain level, as determined on a state by state level, then a muffler MAY be required to bring vehicle noise into compliance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts