Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. I bought new and have put 50k miles on a 2013 dart with a 6 speed manual transmission. wifes car mostly and we have no complaints until the reverse lockout cable broke. the dodge company will not sell me just the cable. they will sell me a complete shifter assembly for $240.00. to put the car back on the road I used a 12 inch long 1/8 inch drill bit to drill though the lockout lever and wired it open. but one has to be carefull finding 1st gear. the dealer I bought the car from is talking with dodge but that's been going on now for 2 months. is dodge going to support this car? this might be the last dodge in my garage. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel your pain my brother. There is still no action out of dodge. The dealership just told me that they are getting a new dodge rep so maybe he can do something. Meanwhile we had to take it on a road trip which included a city. The shifter is pretty vague anyhow and this really makes it worse at stoplights. eBay has the cable ends but the way they clamp onto the cable makes me think it will create a weak spot and end up failing at the worst possible time. Might end up buying a whole shifter assembly but dodge is my last choice. Please let me know how this goes for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reverse lockout function failed on my 2013 Dart 1.4L Limited, 46,000 miles.
Reverse was accessible without pulling up on the knob and 1st and 2nd became very difficult to find.

As is normal, the dealer wanted me to leave it for diagnosis $. Further checking at the parts counter; $250 for the shifter assembly and $350 to install.

After an internet search on how to remove the console, (takes about 15 min.) I found the cause of the failure.

The reverse pawl that limits stick motion to the left (and defines 1st and 2nd) was jammed and the spring could not return it to normal position.
I observed the leading end had a feature which had shattered, leaving a sharp edge and loose plastic.
By trimming this leading edge with a sharp knife, creating a slight chamfer, the pawl was free to move.
An hours work saved me $600!

Since you have the console out of the car, this is great time to clean all those places you can never reach!

NOTE to FCA: fire the guys specifying the plastic materials for these cars! this is my 4th instance of a part failure because of brittle plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
moving forward with no support

yep...still nothing from dodge. a friend suggested buying the shifter...removing the cable and then return it. sounds fun but trying to be honest here. so I'm going to purchase a universal cable kit off ebay. did not know this stuff is available but yep there it is. used primarily but old motorcycle restorers I believe. venhill makes/sells a good looking kit and the barrels soldier on. will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
installed universal cable

I gave up on dodge being any help. made some time for the job now that the holidays are over. thanks to craven speed for instructions on removing the console. I do not believe anyone has gotten the shifter knob cover off in one piece. save your self the frustration and time and use a hacksaw blade to cut through the cover and remove it with a old screwdriver. I reused the cable housing. used venhill's cable with soldierless barrel ends I got from a variety pack I also purchased off ebay. not impressed with the design on that reverse lockout assembly. there is only a cable housing holder on one end. the other end must be loosely tie strapped to the shifter handle. maybe the newer models have a improved design and that could be why dodge wants to sell me a whole new shifter. anyway the job it done and works. I will be looking at aftermarket shifters as I'm sure this cable will break again. poor design. can anybody recommend one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reverse lockout function failed on my 2013 Dart 1.4L Limited, 46,000 miles.
Reverse was accessible without pulling up on the knob and 1st and 2nd became very difficult to find.

As is normal, the dealer wanted me to leave it for diagnosis $. Further checking at the parts counter; $250 for the shifter assembly and $350 to install.

After an internet search on how to remove the console, (takes about 15 min.) I found the cause of the failure.

The reverse pawl that limits stick motion to the left (and defines 1st and 2nd) was jammed and the spring could not return it to normal position.
I observed the leading end had a feature which had shattered, leaving a sharp edge and loose plastic.
By trimming this leading edge with a sharp knife, creating a slight chamfer, the pawl was free to move.
An hours work saved me $600!

Since you have the console out of the car, this is great time to clean all those places you can never reach!

NOTE to FCA: fire the guys specifying the plastic materials for these cars! this is my 4th instance of a part failure because of brittle plastic.

Can you message me on how you removed the console? My reverse cable snapped this morning and I have to replace my shifter now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
go to the cravenspeed website, dodge stuff, then their short shifter. they have install instructions with pics which includes removing the console. read the previous posts and I share your pain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
go to the cravenspeed website, dodge stuff, then their short shifter. they have install instructions with pics which includes removing the console. read the previous posts and I share your pain.
Thank you. When I picked up the shifter at the dealer they printed out instructions for me. Took me longer to pull off the panels and remove the center console than it did to switch out the shifter lol. But putting it back together was faster since I knew what I was doing at that point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just took out the console for the third time. The pivot pin for reverse lockout keeps drifting out, and again it is difficult-to-impossible to find 1st gear. I machined a plug and pressed it into the plastic trunion to keep the pin from falling out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts