Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the recommended oil for the 1.4 turbo? I'm sure it's in the manuel, however I am at work and cannot check. I've always run synthetic oil in my cars, but for some reason I remember hearing that synthetic in a turbo is not recommend. Maybe I'm remembering things my brain likes to make up sometimes, who knows...

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have ran Synthetic on every turbo car I have owned.Walmart of all places is the cheapest around here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet, yeah after I posted this, I was able to go out and check the recommended oil. thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not do a lot of driving. The requierement for changing your oil at 3 months or 5,000 KM (3,000 miles) is rediculous when you are being forced into the synthetic oil. It also states that time is the first thing and mileage is second which for me with the driving I do approx 12,000 km per year I will require a Synthetic oil change every 3 months. This is the same requirement as the /69 Dart with the exception that conventional oil was sufficient. Have we not moved forward in these last 40 plus years??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the modern sythentic oils, especially Mobil 1, you can go alot more than that. You could safely get away with about 6k miles sorry don't know what that converts to in KM, but Mobil gaurantees it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I run full synthetic as the oil is so thin (0w-20) I want to ensure its getting the maximum amount of lubrication and maximum MPG. so far we are averaging 30 around town and 39-40 highway.
The wife usually drives far enough to get the engine (and oil) up to operating temp to get rid of any moisture, so that is also a plus.
Engine oil changes for her Dart were the initial break in change (1000 miles) and every 5k after that. Takes about 10 minutes to do the oil & filter.

She has the 2.0 NA so the oil change intervals may be different for forced induction models.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think it says right on the oil cap synthetic oil only...either way, SYNTHETIC!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
going to change the oil for the first time any day now Does the 2.0 engine come with synthetic oil?

if not when should I change over to synthetic oil and what weight oil and brand do you guys like?? Thanks Fred

·
Registered
193 Posts
going to change the oil for the first time any day now Does the 2.0 engine come with synthetic oil?

if not when should I change over to synthetic oil and what weight oil and brand do you guys like?? Thanks Fred
After break in.

See post #6

·
Registered
5 Posts
anyone running mobil 1 in a 2014 2.4 GT yet? just put 3000 miles on mine and going to change to synthetic ......any input appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
the 1.4's I know take the euro weight of 5w 40 which is a synthetic and the dealer said the car tells you when to change the oil and I got it changed at 1k exactly and just the second one at 9660 miles. so the synthetic's are becoming far superior over old dinosaur oil.

-WR

·
Registered
71 Posts
Am about to do 1500 mile oil change on GT 2.4. Going full synthetic. Any preferences on what brand? Have used Mobil 1, Valvoline full synthetic and Pennzoil full synthetic in various other cars over the years. Are they all about the same or is one better?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Am about to do 1500 mile oil change on GT 2.4. Going full synthetic. Any preferences on what brand? Have used Mobil 1, Valvoline full synthetic and Pennzoil full synthetic in various other cars over the years. Are they all about the same or is one better?
other than a proprietary additive here or there, if it's full synthetic oil they are generally all the same.
I usually by Valvoline, Castrol, or Mobile1 - whichever happens to be on sale when I need to do an oil change.
caveat: I am not sure about the recycled oil, or if said oil even comes in synthetic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts