Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that, when I raised my tire pressure on my front left wheel from 30 to 34.5 using an air compressor and a digital tire gauge, the Tire Sensor screen on my dashboard did not reflect it immediately. I even drove the car up and down my driveway and the sensor still showed at 30.

Do the tire pressure sensors need a certain speed, a certain gear level or a certain temperature in the engine to get activated?

·
Administrator
1,261 Posts
I'm not sure about the pressure reading but if it ever activates for low pressure, you have to drive it for it to reset and turn the light off after raising the pressure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the best PSI points change tire pressure?

I'm not sure about the pressure reading but if it ever activates for low pressure, you have to drive it for it to reset and turn the light off after raising the pressure.
Thanks. That is what happened. After I drove the car for one mile the Dart sensor showed the proper pressure.

Now, what kind of PSI fluctuations can I allow the tires before adjusting the air? My tire manufacturer recommends 34 PSI for all 4 tires. I am adding air in any tire if it drops to 31 PSI and taking out air if it gets to 38 PSI. I am doing the measurements in the morning after overnight storage outside the house.

I allow the Dart sensors to show the morning PSI and then using a digital tire gauge when I add or take out the air.

Is there a formula related to tire manufacturer's recommended PSI to tell us when to adjust air?

·
Administrator
1,261 Posts
I would just keep it at the cold tire pressure that is recommended on the sticker in the door. It will go up probably 3 to 6 pounds while driving but that's already figured in. You should only have to check it once a month (after sitting for the cold pressure) unless the temp changes quite a bit. Seems like tire pressure changes about 1 pound for every 8 to 10 degrees of temp change if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've also noticed that the PSI readings on the Dart screen display sometimes show a higher reading than the digital tire gauge shows one or two days after adding air. Adding air appears to have a chance of throwing off the sensor reading until it stabilizes.

The sensor readings after the overnight storage just shows the previous day's readings. One has to drive a couple miles for the sensors to kick in with accurate readings. Apparently, the sensors freeze when the motor is turned off.

The side door panel tire sign shows mfr spec of 34 PSI for all the tires. However, as temperature falls and rises, those sensor readings also change. Where I live there can be dramatic temperature changes.

Just taking readings once per month may miss big changes in the PSI. I'm going to rely on the sensors to judge when to use the digital tire gauge and compressor. I'll allow the sensors to fluctuate from 3 PSI less than the mfr spec to 4 PSI over mfr spec 2 miles of driving after overnight storage. IF the change is more than that, I will use the gauge and compressor to adjust to mfr spec of 34 PSI.

Naturally, to control PSI in cars without PSI sensors, one must check with the gauge every months. I used to do it every 6 weeks on my old car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Air pressure gauge

Not being rude I want to say that just because a air gauge is digital does not mean it accurate. I have found large differences between different gauges. Make sure you have a high quality gauge. You will pay more for one but it's reading's will be more accurate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was wondering about this today... Is there a good accurate tire gauge that you can count on ? My gauge is never close to what the car says and I paid 10 bucks for it, but who can say if the car readings are correct?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can't vouch for anyones car but my own. At my work we have a certified pressure gage we use for testing and it is very accurate. I checked my tire pressures with it and compared to the car readout. The cars headup display of tire pressure was with in 1 PSI of my test guage. I run at 34psi as recomended cold. Fronts will climb to 37psi as they warm up. Rears usually stay pretty stable. We don't have huge fluctuations in temp here in the northwest so I only adjust my pressure 4 times a year to compensate for ambient temp. Or as needed from checks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My pressure from the day I owned it was about 34-35, I seen in to go 30 recently and the tires looked a lil low so for the first time I went to put air in them. I was surprised they go up to 44psi, so I filled all 4 tires to 40psi, I got in the car and my tire pressures read 40,40,39,39. It was immediate for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts