Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every dodge I have owned since 97 (except the Challenger) has been governed from the factory at 115 mph - Ram, Caravan, Durango, etc.
On the way back from San Antonio on the 130 toll road I decided to see what the little dart would do, since there was no one else on the road. I was kinda surprised when I past 120 and kept accelerating.

I let off at 125, it might have hit 130-135 if I held it but it was a little unstable and I didn't want to press my luck.
I'm sure the other models have more top end, but not bad for an entry level sedan.

What are the Darts governed at?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why do you need to go over 100? thats the "i dont want my licence anymore officer" speed,lol.
also the dart is limited to 120mph.
I have moments of stupidity :D
Usually in my Challenger tho

·
Registered
768 Posts
Down hill with a tail wind:rolleyes:. I have noticed on a lot of the cars i've owned including my bike that there is a speedo error to the high side of actual speed. I think it is an industry wide plan to display your speed slightly higher to help reduce speeding. We have lots of those stupid radar trailers around our area so I always look to compare my speed and they are ussually showing 2-3 MPH less than my speedo. Thats in the 30-40 MPH range. Bump that up to a hundred and you get an error of 6-8 MPH. But hey anything over a hundred is fast. I've had my 1100 Ninja up to 180 which is scarry fast on two wheels even though after you figure in the speedo error I was only doing 165-170. The Dart speedo only goes to 120 but then you can guess in the raparound factor which is alway cool to say I out sped the speedo!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Down hill with a tail wind:rolleyes:. I have noticed on a lot of the cars i've owned including my bike that there is a speedo error to the high side of actual speed. I think it is an industry wide plan to display your speed slightly higher to help reduce speeding. We have lots of those stupid radar trailers around our area so I always look to compare my speed and they are ussually showing 2-3 MPH less than my speedo. Thats in the 30-40 MPH range. Bump that up to a hundred and you get an error of 6-8 MPH. But hey anything over a hundred is fast. I've had my 1100 Ninja up to 180 which is scarry fast on two wheels even though after you figure in the speedo error I was only doing 165-170. The Dart speedo only goes to 120 but then you can guess in the raparound factor which is alway cool to say I out sped the speedo!
?? I had the dash configured to display the speedometer in digits (with tire pressure below), and it was registering 125 when I let off.

I have never had my bike that fast, 135 is all I was comfortable with.

if the chally tops at 114, how much difference is there between 100 and 114? you crash at that speed its gonna hurt the same.
? I think even the V6 models will do atleast 130-ish.
I haven't pushed mine past 140 (on a deserted stretch of black top) even tho it had plenty left in it.
Some members of another forum have had their Challenger R/Ts rolling much faster, I think the top speed is around 172-175 mph.
The Dart isn't a fast car by any stretch, I was just curious as to why the governor was set higher than 115 mph.

edit: and I think it was on a slight decline of toll road 130 when I let up :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do like the title ... ONLY 125? lol.
Keep in mind I'm used to driving a 400+ hp challenger or a Suzuki Bandit 1255S...both of which exceed the title by about 40 mph :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Down hill with a tail wind:rolleyes:. I have noticed on a lot of the cars I've owned including my bike that there is a speedo error to the high side of actual speed. I think it is an industry wide plan to display your speed slightly higher to help reduce speeding. We have lots of those stupid radar trailers around our area so I always look to compare my speed and they are usually showing 2-3 MPH less than my speedo.
You're completely correct, most speedometers are going to slightly exaggerate your speed. This is both prudent to protect people from speeding, and to insulate the company so the manufacturer can't be proven to have gotten you a ticket by showing your speed as lower than reality. A good rule of thumb (at least for motorcycles) is to assume you're 1mph less per 30. So 30 = 29, 60 = 58, and 100 = ~97. Every car is different though, and the company does want to stay fairly accurate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice. Wonder what dodge limited the Darts at? The stock electronic limiter on the Challenger was 140 mph (maybe due to the stock tire rating as mentioned above?), the Caravan and Ram stopped at 120.
I don't know if the wife's dart would get much faster than 130 mph, the little 2.0 was screamin.

Your GT might be set to a higher top speed limit than the 2.0s

·
Registered
284 Posts
im not worried about the limiter, imho, speed is not smart. too many variables for driving fast and the furious. but the GT has the suspension that allows the car to stay planted and safer at high speed. the dart is not a straight line performer, but in the twisties, its a corner hugger.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im not worried about the limiter, imho, speed is not smart. too many variables for driving fast and the furious. but the GT has the suspension that allows the car to stay planted and safer at high speed. the dart is not a straight line performer, but in the twisties, its a corner hugger.
I know what you mean, my Challenger is setup similarly and is very stable at high speed. Makes it easy to exceed the speed limit if you not paying attention.
Speeding isn't safe, but when I choose to act foolish I am usually the only one in the car and there is not much other traffic around.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I guess that I'm getting old. I think I would rather look cool going slow... my top end these days is about 80 MPH when the speed limit is 75...

Exco
most understandable. i never drive like a tard with my wife and kids in the car. i only get the speed bug when i got some dumb kid in a civic trying to show me that he is soooo fast,lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.