Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to or figured out how to remove the vents on the outer sides of the dash?

What I'm wanting to do is either vinyl wrap the bright trim piece or even dip it. It's the only thing that has any sort of "bling" on the interior, so it sort of stands out.

I have some red accents on the doors, so I was thinking if I could dip the outer edges of the vents in red it would tie in nicely.

Any ideas out there?

Exco

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to figure out how to get the vents out. They're not as difficult as they at first seemed. It just takes a little patience, and a little bit more muscle.

I found this video, which is of '13, but it got me looking in the right direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBEg9idfRaA

Once I got the vents out, I was easily able to pull off the plastic chrome-like ring, and then hit it with a little Pasti-Dipp.

I am currently letting the "paint" dry over night before I reinstall the vents. If you look closely, you can see what looks like jagged edges, what that is, is the tape that I used to mask off the clips that hold the ring to the rest of the vent assembly.

I will post some pics once I get everything put back together. I was pretty pleased that the Dipp almost perfectly matched the red trim on my door panels, which was an added bonus.

Exco

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got everything back together, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Here are a few pics...

Exco

·
Registered
768 Posts
That looks awesome. Very nice touch. My kid got me some vinyl carbon fiber to trim my interior. Now I need to get started. Glad you were able to figure it out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vinyl is good, but on a good day it's a PITA.

I did some wood grain vinyl in my VW, and it made a world of difference. The problem that I have now is that I need to go back and do some touch up, as it's starting to bubble a little bit. You can imagine what that makes it look like.

Because of the "bubble effect" I think I prefer to Dipp. I have had better results.

I tried to wrap the vents in red carbon fiber, and I didn't like the results. I plan to keep playing with my vinyl, as I have quite a bit, and I will go from there.

Exco

1 - 5 of 5 Posts