Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like my turbo is always going and its killing my mpg. Anyone else have this problem or know any other info? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After research I found a better way to say what I meant. The turbo is boosting at very low rpm. I did the poor man mod of replacing the stock air box with the spectre cone filter and it was running fine but it seems ever since my last fill up that the turbo is going even if I lightly go on the gas. Again any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I just dont know what im talking bout but it seems that turbo shouldn't be boosting as much as it is when im under 2k rpm. Still looking for advice help or anything. Thx

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok, I will throw my 2 cents in here. The turbo is always spinning when your engine is running, even after you shut your engine off it will continue to spin for a few seconds. It is powered by the exhaust gasses leaving the engine. Just because you can hear the turbo spinning or what is called spooling up, doesn't mean that it is creating positive pressure or boost. If you get a boost gage, you will see this. It probably doesn't start developing a positive pressure or boost until you get above a certain rpm. And in regards to your other thread. Boost gages look cool.:cool: I am sure you are getting better mileage than my NA 2.0. When you say it is killing your mpg, what are you getting average?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where I really see my numbers dropping from before is acceleration. Maybe its just me thinking about it to much. It seems like when accelerating it is worse on gas from 15-20 down to 4-7 but when cruising my mpg seems fine but its a serious drop on start up

·
Registered
768 Posts
That does sound low. Are you watching your rolling average which is a digital number or that stupid bar graph readout of current mpg. One is cumulative and is resetable. The longer you go without reseting it the more it reflects your average mpg. The bar graph is like a stupid sparkly bauble ment to make you think its cool. If that is what you are looking at then stop. I can make my NA 2.0 read 0 by stompin on the gas. If you haven't done it yet then fill your tank, reset one of your trip odometers. Then next time you fill up, devide the number of miles traveled by the number of gallons added. This will give you your true mpg average. If I am totally missing it and your not just fixating on the little bar going back and forth everytime you touch the gas then I don't know. I wouldn't think going with the spectre filter would cause your mpg to drop like you are seeing.

Keep going with this and see if others start jumping in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i too have noticed that the computers mpg is not very accurate
its kind of annoying really
i do the miles divided by gallons, you cant beat that

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Forge plate on mine and i know what your referring too. The engine will build pressure at all rpms especially being a 1.4. My 1.4 will blow off at 1500 rpm in 4th,5th and 6th gears easily. Doesn't mean the boost is on. It just means the motor is pressurizing because the turbo is powered by exhaust gasses...as long as that motor is running and there are exhaust gasses, the Turbo ALWAYS wants to go and build pressure when the throttle is down even slightly. Not until it starts to spool higher will it start to really affect your gas mileage. Your system can be fully charged under pressure almost and you have no major power because its just spooling up. Once she spools up and lets go, that's when your mileage really goes to crap from matching fuel to air ratios in the MAP. You still 'may' use slightly more fuel on the bottom of the spool to the mid-range but its minimal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can we order a boost gauge from Dodge that works with the interior? If I get one I want it to look like it belongs there in a factory spot. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can we order a boost gauge from Dodge that works with the interior? If I get one I want it to look like it belongs there in a factory spot. Any help is appreciated.
There are plenty out there you can use. I believe Dodge has ones you can use but nothing that would make it look factory mounted. You would have to go custom install into dash somewhere by someone who knew what they were doing to make it seamless. You can do pillar mounts, etc but im just not into that personally. Id rather have it mounted into the dash flush or in a pod and have it molded into the dash which can be done.

Having a boost guage is a good idea. It can tell you what you run and when problems start cropping up before you even realize, the boost levels will tell you. Its not just an asthetics thing as most people think...it does actually serve a valuable function for those concerned of their levels.

I doubt Dodge will come out with one for the dart, especially now that the Dart SRT was just announced today for 2016, but you never know. Hooking a boost guage up is another issue. Have seen one youtube on it and not exactly what im looking for. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure if it helps but I had a bad waste gate valve in my dart and was blowing off early. During acceleration my car would sputter and it was the waste gate blowing off too soon

·
Registered
284 Posts
the turbo is exhaust driven. if your producing exhaust your gonna have the turbo spooling. the turbo will always spool no matter what RPM your at. the only way to keep the boost low is to shift as low as possible but retain the drivabilty. basically, your MPG is gonna be crappy for the engine breaking in, if it still just feels wrong, talk to the dealer and try to have them explain to you how to drive your car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The biggest thing with this turbo always giving you boost is that the car is just too heavy for this little engine. Come on, you have a 2.0 NA engine and a 1.4 turbo engine producing the same hp. Only difference is the torque. I have found that by using my scan gauge to monitor boost and hp that once the engine starts producing more than 53 hp the boost starts climbing out of vacuum. As long as you can drive at a constant speed on level ground you can stay out of boost. That is not saying that the turbo is not spinning, it is just not augmenting the power produced by the engine. Just the slightest pressure on the gas and you will see boost. I have a 2.0 liter turbo in my HHR and I don't see my boost gauge reading in the boost range no where near as much as the Dart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts