Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car on a trip to Washington D.C. last weekend, it performed very well, 34.9mpg, (much better than what my Grand Caravan was getting!), with one exception, I get vibration in the steering wheel at about 72 up to 80, then it goes away. Well, of course, I can't drive 80 all the time on the expressway, (especially in Pennsylvania!). Got home, went straight to my favorite tire store, they said the balancing was right on, no bent rims, none of the tires are out of round. Checked air pressure, it's right were it should be as well... Any suggestions?? Can't imagine living with this... very disappointing to have a car with less than 2,000 miles on it that shakes like a leaf at expressway speeds!

(Yes, believe it or not, this was the first time I had it out on the expressway!)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmm wheel balance was my first guess. I presume the shop took off all 4 wheels and put them on the wheel balancer? I ask only because some shops, just guess by a test drive or they jack it up and spin the wheels free hand.

Aside from that might be a bad wheel bearing, but I really doubt that. Could be a busted axle as well, but you'd hear that all the time. Both would have noticable issues through all speeds as well. So I doubt this is it.

I really think it's a wheel balance issue.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, all 4 wheels where taken off and checked using load force balancing... all lugs hand torqued. This is my local Belle Tire, they've helped me solve vibration issues before, but I didn't want to go too far with them due to the fact that the car is under warranty, and I don't want to do anything that would screw that up.

Alignment?? Rotors??

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. Take it to the dealer since it is still under warranty.
2. Swap the tires from front to rear & see if it goes away. (this will tell you if it is a tire or possible suspension problem)
3. I have seen defective tires cause this. Bought brand new ones, would get the same symptoms around 65-70 mph. The tire shop said it was defective tires, replaced & no problems again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tires react differently with a load on them versus just spinning them on a machine to balance them.

·
Administrator
1,261 Posts
Looks like he did the Road Force balancing on them, which does put load on them. Not sure if it's enough to pick up a bad belt or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone heard more about this yet? My 2013 Ralleye is having this issue now. Once it was caused by some snow in the wheel. I cleaned the wheels yesterday and it seemed to help, but it is still vibrating over 70mph. Its disparaging to think that anytime a little dirt gets in the wheelwell this vibration will start. I've never had this issue before on any other car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it possible this is working as designed due the suspension? It's a "sport" suspension, meaning you really really feel the road.
I wonder if this is kind of like how when going 50+ on a steep incline the ABS kicks in and it feels like the whole car is vibrating and that something is wrong. But in fact, this is completely normal for any car with ABS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my car just hit 10k miles and now i noticed i have slight vibration in the steering wheel and pedals between 60-70 mph and i can hear a slight hum. I'm convinced its a wheel bearing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts