Dodge Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that the wheel bearing in the dart need replacing after only 30k miles?
There is a low roaring and vibration coming from the front suspension at speeds above 70 mph.
I've tested it on multiple different roadways and tried rotating the tires front to back with no change.
Anyone had to replace their wheel bearings yet?

·
Administrator
1,263 Posts
I would think not but you never know. Have you checked the boots on the CV joints to make sure one of them has not split and slung the grease out?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, i haven't been under it since the last oil change, when i tried swapping the tires around.
It's coming up on a service, I'll take a look at the brakes and half shafts then.
Just got a note in the mail (safety recall) that says I need to bring it in for a possible brake booster failure. If this car didn't get such awesome mileage I'd roll it off a cliff.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Chizzle, I've had that recall for several months now and no word from the dealer when they want to look at it and make any repairs.

On the wheel bearings, I have the bearing growl too but mine I swear is coming from the rear. I have 42k. I replaced the rear but it didn't go away and it still sounds like it is the rear. Have you recently changed tires? I did. I have read that some tires are louder than others. If that is the case then rotating tires probably won't effect the noise you are hearing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chizzle, I've had that recall for several months now and no word from the dealer when they want to look at it and make any repairs.

On the wheel bearings, I have the bearing growl too but mine I swear is coming from the rear. I have 42k. I replaced the rear but it didn't go away and it still sounds like it is the rear. Have you recently changed tires? I did. I have read that some tires are louder than others. If that is the case then rotating tires probably won't effect the noise you are hearing.
Yes, I had to replace the two tires on the rear due to one of the tires separating and the other having a nail in it. I replaced them at the same tire with a three star (stock is only 2) yokohoma touring and had them installed on the front.
I am not too worried about it as we don't have any long trips planned, but I wish it was quieter inside. If the mileage in the Charger V6 gets a little higher I'll see if my better half wants to trade up. The Charger seems to be a more solidly built car than the Dart.
Speaking of MPG the dart is down to 30 city and 36 highway, wondering if there is some drag causing the drop in mileage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone have the size for the socket I'll need to remove the hubs?
if not I'll wait and measure when the wheels are off.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think it was a 32mm or 1 1/4". I don't remember but don't think it was 36mm. Front or rear? Rear is the 32mm or 1 1/4". Someone on here is saying 36mm on the front. But I haven't done them yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts

david i have a 2013 1.4 6sp and i recently had my car in the shop they said definitely the rear bearings are going bad, i have been been hearing that same growl for a while but always thought it was the road. Have you changed yours yet? there is a pretty good video on youtube what it takes to change them. if you did change yours where and what did you go with? 48k on mine

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes I did replace them as I said at 42K. The howl/grawl is still there and I sware it is coming from the rear. My old neon made the same noise only worse by the time I made it back from a trip I was on.
I ordered replacements through www.rockauto.com They have a good inventory of parts for our darts. Quick shipping and reasonably priced.
But like I said it didn't fix what I am hearing. I did put new tires on my dart but haven't determined If that is what is making the noise. Someone told me to take strips of duct tape and stick it half way around the tires and drive it down the road. If it is the tire or tread then the tape will break up the sound. Going to give it a try cause I hate hearing the noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My bad david i completely read over where you said you replaced yours. I hope mine goes away once i replace the bearings, as the sound wasnt thee when i bought the car and i haven't replaced any tires yet, when you replaced yours did you do it or have it done? Just wondering if you ran into any issues getting anything off.

·
Registered
768 Posts
No trouble man,
Yeah I did it myself. It wasn't bad at all. I haven't seen the youtube video. I think there is a post on here with pics and descriptions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
a quick update I got the bearings ordered from rockauto, they were the cheapest and got the skf brand which was the best according to all the reviews, everything went really smooth, but it only fixed half the noise problem, it is the tires, after i put it all back together I went for a drive still noise, rotated the tires and the sound moved with the tires.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yeah that sucks. It is just annoying. Wish there was a way to insulate the car. Just more road noise than I like.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 13 has a growling from the right rear that I suspected was either a wheel bearing or a directional tire mounted backward. I need to check it today. It is darned annoying in a reasonably new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the right rear wheel bearing assembly replaced at 17000 miles on 2/2/2017. The DART SXT is a 2013 bought new. Car was out of warranty, but dealer charged only $50.00 and called it GOOD WILL. 1/13/2020 left rear wheel bearing assembly at 27000 miles bad.$220.00 replaced at local shop. I have never on any new vehicle had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced before 30000 miles!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the right rear wheel bearing assembly replaced at 17000 miles on 2/2/2017. The DART SXT is a 2013 bought new. Car was out of warranty, but dealer charged only $50.00 and called it GOOD WILL. 1/13/2020 left rear wheel bearing assembly at 27000 miles bad.$220.00 replaced at local shop. I have never on any new vehicle had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced before 30000 miles!
My 2013 Dart Rallye was still under warranty when I took it to the dealer for the wheel bearing. Without looking at it or even considering anything else, they Immediately parroted “you must have hit a pothole or curbed it”. That Stealership is now on my “no fly list” and deserve to be. You found a good place to do business, apparently.
Not sure how these places stay in business when they constantly dump on their loyal customers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts