Dodge Dart Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I know the answer but last night I sent my parents to use our points for cheaper gas and asked if they could put it in the dart. Ok they do it but my mom goes oh shit......and I go you didn't put premium in did you? She didn't now will this hard the car? It still had a half tank of premium in it when she put the regular in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nope. For that little, you might not even notice a difference. Now, if you were to run he Regular for a full tank or two you car will feel really sluggish and maybe even jumpy. If you are worried about it, drop in a bottle of octane booster and there won't be a problem. This happened to me on my 300ZX TT. Wife put in Regular and it felt sluggish. put in a bottle of octane booster and it made it better, for the most part. But for half a tank, not a huge deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you guys know that these darts run on 87 right? you dont have to run premium

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not true for the turbo models. You will definitely want to run premium in those... the turbo needs the better combustion for the higher compression rations it's running. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
just listen to the manual... it says use 91. use it. who cares... its gonna cost you an extra what??? 7$ more for the tank??? dont put cheap in ur car to save 7$.... seriouselly.... frigg 93Octain is even better way to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just listen to the manual... it says use 91. use it. who cares... its gonna cost you an extra what??? 7$ more for the tank??? dont put cheap in ur car to save 7$.... seriouselly.... frigg 93Octain is even better way to go.
I don't know who your referring to but I didn't put the regular in. My mom made the mistake.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
These cars are smarter than you think ,im sure It will notice the octane difference and pull timming Or something of that nature. It will just be sluggish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been running regular in mine since I got it in december, and I haven't had a single problem... But, you guys aren't the first to tell me this... Next tank will be 93 and we'll see if there is any difference.

·
ProFRESHional
210 Posts
Actually, any forced induction car whether it be turbocharged or supercharged requires 93 Octane or higher gas. It burns at a much higher rate.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you switch from regular to premium do you have to do anything first?
Other than a bottle of Royal Purple Fuel Injection Cleaner, I didn't. And I've been using 91 Octane since our gas stations don't have 93 unfortunately.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I don't think running premium or mid-grade will help anything except the oil companies collect an extra 35-50 cents a gallon, but from what I read , it can harm the engine by scorching the valves in the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have ran all grades and my car has ran just fine. I did however wait to fill a tank completely before changing grades so that there was not much mixing. I've done several autocross events(on the 93 of course) and she still wiggles her way in and out of curves without any hitches. I may be incorrect, but I thought that octane matters most on higher boosting turbos.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I may be incorrect, but I thought that octane matters most on higher boosting turbos.
Alright, science lesson for all you guys confused about what gas to use and why...

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine (premature ignition of the air fuel mixture). Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.
The compression ratio of your engine, say, 12-to-one instead of a more usual ten-to-one, determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. The greater the compression, the higher the temperature within the combustion chamber. And the higher the temperature, the greater the thermal efficiency and power produced. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

So, if you do NOT have a turbo'ed motor and you use any of the higher octane level gas... you will not notice a difference, it will not improve your performance, and it will not harm your motor.
if you DO have a turbo'ed motor, using something other than the highest level octane (91 or 93) on a regular basis (i.e. more than half a tank on multiple fill ups in a row) you will loose performance, you will notice a difference, and it will damage your engine through build-up in the block.

Hope that helps... :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nailed it. Nicely explained. For a moment there I thought I was listening to Bill Nye the science guy:). Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts